Induction Brewing

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Petrolhead, Dec 4, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 4, 2019 #1

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Regular.

I am still giving some thought to extending the kit in my brewing shed and I have read up a little on induction hobs. These look a great solution in all ways apart from one, temperature control.

I am correct in assuming that the issue of automatic temperature control has still to be found with the exception of the induction hobs with built in control but these are £££'s?

If this is the case then the initial plan of building in a flat plate element such as the Burco 3Kw into the base of a stock pot is still my favoured route.

2. Dec 4, 2019 #2

stevey

stevey

stevey

Regular. Supporting Member

We have an induction hob, I've never been able to maintain a boil on it; I think it has a safety cut out built in.
    You can't beat gas IMO.

3. Dec 4, 2019 #3

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    mickthetrick likes this.
  4. Dec 4, 2019 #4

mickthetrick

mickthetrick

mickthetrick

Senior Member Supporting Member

Nisbets had a black friday offer on over the weekend. i managed to buy a buffalo induction hob in the sale with 47% off. havnt brewed with it yet but from what ive viewed on the web over the years they are more than capable. Nisbets are worth keeping an eye on if you looking for a quality hob. they have sales on a couple time a year.

5. Dec 4, 2019 #5

kelper

kelper

kelper

Landlord.

If you want to use it for boiling then you don't need temperature control, you need power control. Many hobs will just cycle on and off but there are induction hobs with variable power. I bought a used one on eBay to save money. If it cycles on and off I can't tell - maybe it does so quickly. A Chinese power regulator would do this for you at a cost of about £8.

Beware of induction hobs with a low power rating. Many are only 1600W. aim for at least 2800W to get the full benefit.

6. Dec 4, 2019 #6

Drunkula

Drunkula

Drunkula

Landlord.

Oh my god, how much? I never even though about looking for one.

mickthetrick likes this.
  7. Dec 4, 2019 #7

Druncan

Druncan

Druncan

Senior Moments

So similar to my set up!!! and it worked. But I have a BB 50l Triclamp pot:cool: not SS. I even used my house hot water tank to preheat liquor on eco7 overnight. I was also upgrading my camping mat insulation and have 12mm foam floor mats similar to this; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wood-Gra...hash=item364c91b399:m:mcGhpaPhD_bJwY153q3sh1g and velcro straps. But all my kit is currently buried in storage while we renovate my hip and house,,, Even trying to do a wine kit for xmas is a painasad1

Not sure if you can quickly switch power on and off as the Buffalo has a cooler fan that runs after power dial shut off. I do use mine via my Inkbird under 2kw and it works, but I swap leads once up to temp. Never managed to hold mash just on the dial yet.

70l on a Buffalo sounds interesting, Found it!! Lookhttp://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6246&p=82942&hilit=rokdok+induction#p82897

8. Dec 4, 2019 #8

mickthetrick

mickthetrick

mickthetrick

Senior Member Supporting Member

was £107 with the vat. deliverd to door

Drunkula likes this.
  9. Dec 5, 2019 #9

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Regular.

Can't believe that price! Well done Druncula.

10. Dec 5, 2019 #10

kelper

kelper

kelper

Landlord.

11. Dec 5, 2019 #11

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    As far as i am aware they cycle on and off until turned up just over half. I have the buffalo and it cycles until 1700w then it stays on. I would not want to control one of these with an stc type device as i imagine the overshoot would be substantial and would probably shorten its lifespan.
    Great bit of kit, should be able to boil at least 50l.

12. Dec 7, 2019 #12

kelper

kelper

kelper

Landlord.

My Inversys Lite has six power levels and does NOT switch on and off. It has some chunky capacitors and high voltage warnings so I stopped dismantling it. It was £400 plus new but £31 used on eBay. It's 2.7kW on my voltage (245V).

13. Dec 10, 2019 at 9:12 PM #13

Birkin

Birkin

Birkin

I use a Burco Cygnet Tea Urn.. It's thermostatically controlled but it doesn't have temp written on it, so i use a digital thermometer then set the knob and it'll keep the temp somewhere near, aim a little cool then heat up to racing temp before using (There's a good 5 degrees or so of hysteresis in the stat).
    I use it as a HLT for my mash bin, then as a boil kettle. It maintains a lovely rolling boil with no issues, even at 90 minutes for lagers. I did a bit of reading before I bought one, generally tea urns struggle with a rolling boil apart from a select few.. It's usually either Burco or Buffalo who are recommended by brewers.
    The element is 2.2kW, the urn is 30L, it's ideal for 19L batches.
    They cost about £90 these days.