Inkbird probe / jiffy bag question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuo1981

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quick question as now the proud owner of a fermentation fridge and an inkbird itc-308s. I've read around and notice people using bubble wrap or jiffy bags to house the probe to the FV. Stupid question but why? And what's the best method for doing this?

Cheers

Hi all

Just a quick question as now the proud owner of a fermentation fridge and an inkbird itc-308s. I've read around and notice people using bubble wrap or jiffy bags to house the probe to the FV. Stupid question but why? And what's the best method for doing this?

Cheers
I use a washing up sponge either taped on or held in place by fv handle. @David Heath recommended plumber's putty, so might give that a whirl in future

So you poke the probe into the sponge? And stick it to the FV?
Place the probe directly against the FV and trap it there with the sponge. The idea is that you are insulating the probe from the air surrounding the fv thereby achieving a more accurate temperature measurement of the wort

The idea is that you are insulating the probe from the air surrounding the fv thereby achieving a more accurate temperature measurement of the wort
Superstar, thanks for that. Knew there had to be a good reason. Can't wait to try it out with its maiden brew!

When the probe is wrapped in a sponge or bubbles, do I need to tape to the fermenter side, or I just can leave it next to the fermenter?

I am using first time the ITC and in the beginning I just taped the probe the the fermenter side, then someone told me it will be more accurate to put the prob in a bottle of water - I did it. But when it was time for dry hopping, a sterilized the probe and cable and put it directly into the fermenter and the temperature was 2 degrees higher than the bottle.

When the probe is wrapped in a sponge or bubbles, do I need to tape to the fermenter side, or I just can leave it next to the fermenter?

I am using first time the ITC and in the beginning I just taped the probe the the fermenter side, then someone told me it will be more accurate to put the prob in a bottle of water - I did it. But when it was time for dry hopping, a sterilized the probe and cable and put it directly into the fermenter and the temperature was 2 degrees higher than the bottle.
Place the probe against the fermenter then place the sponge over it so as to prevent the surrounding air coming in contact as it gives a more accurate reading of the fermenter temperature.

So these are just protective sleeves for probes you can fit to your FV?
As I understand it, you drill a hole in your fermenter and mount that thermowell. Then put inside the probe, so the well is inside the beer, but the probe does not contact with it so to prevent contamination.

As I understand it, you drill a hole in your fermenter and mount that thermowell. Then put inside the probe, so the well is inside the beer, but the probe does not contact with it so to prevent contamination.
Cheers for that. Might have to invest in one come payday!

You will be amazed at the differences in temperature even when using a sponge.

The side works perfectly fine though, I still do it on 1 of my FV’s. (catalyst)

You will be amazed at the differences in temperature even when using a sponge.
Probably gonna use a sponge next brew but liking the idea of a thermowell for the ones after. Does the well have to be in the beer or is having it inside the FV enough?

Latest posts

Back