install a ball valve or not ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr BR

Regular.
Reaction score
hi was going to install a ball valve on my keggle but after reading a few post on the web about infections in the ball valve and the hassle of stripping down and cleaning and then the problem of trying to get it to re-seal i am now considering just leaving it as is and syphoning the wort out , am going to start extract brewing so was uping the amount i make hence the 50ltr keggle , was putting the tap on the bottom for ease of emptying the wort into FVs at the end of the boil ,so was looking for some insight from people who have this set up and can advise for or against the ball valve route thanks :thumb:

even after cleaning my pot and valves i boil some water in it for a few minutes and open up valves so boiling water runs through valves , so far so good

Surely the obvious solution would be to just run some boiling wort thru the valve for afew mins before you start to cool? I have had no problems keeping it clean. Bottle brush and rinse with water.. :thumb:

I've always wondered how hot the inside of the tap gets anyway - it's metal and in contact boiling wort for 60-90 mins :hmm:

Either way, I have a Ball valve tap and have not had problems with anything in them :thumb:

thanks for the replies , on the web it said that in the ball valve set up there is dead space when the valve is shut and this was the area they were talking about but if you guys run with this set up and no problems then its the simplier solution rather than syphoning aswell its the one for me :cheers: much appreciated

Back