IPA by Mitch Steele

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this with my Christmas money, and it's a great book for those that like this style. Mitch is the head brewer at Stone Brewing Co. in Southern California. The book starts with the history of British beer prior to the 1700's and move on through the birth of IPA from then onwards to the present day with lots of detail about how and where beer and IPA was made. The second half of the book covers IPA variations, ingredients and techniquies. There is a recipe section with 49 recipes from historical beers to contemporary British and US IPA's, double IPA's and black IPA's. Also there is an extensive bibliography for those wishing to do more research. I can't wait to have a go at some of the recipes.

Damn!

You beat me to it. I was going to review it.

Oh well....

I agree, it is a very good book!

I particularly liked the historical aspects regarding the development and evolution of the style.

- Scott

P.S. Good review!

I put the Meantime London IPA recipe into Brewmate and got 523g of hops for a 23L brew :shock:

523g of hops :grin: :grin: :rofl: that is going to be well hoppy ale :rofl: :rofl:

Good Ed said:
I put the Meantime London IPA recipe into Brewmate and got 523g of hops for a 23L brew :shock:

I can't wait to get this book. I listened to the Brewing Network podcast where Mitch was talking about it, and even that was truly enlightening! need to get this and "For the Love of Hops" by Stan Heironymous :cheers:

Having read a couple of Martin Cornell books a reasonable amount of the historical information wasn't new to me. I am not having a go here, Steele does properly credit his sources, but if you are familiar with that stuff (Amber, Gold and Black & Beer: The Story of the Pint) you may find less value in it. I'm still happy enough with the purchase btw.

If you are interested in the historical aspect of it then I would recommend the sources below. Mr Steele also recommends them

Ron Pattinson
Martin Cornell

I was tempted by this, but wondered if it might be Americancentric. I love a good IPA, but find some of the newer styles coming out of the states calling them selves IPA's way too much, and often way over hoped. I had a 90IBU IPA the other day, pure bitterness, nothing else.

John_Henry said:
I was tempted by this, but wondered if it might be Americancentric. I love a good IPA, but find some of the newer styles coming out of the states calling them selves IPA's way too much, and often way over hoped. I had a 90IBU IPA the other day, pure bitterness, nothing else.

Read the book! It changes your perception / idea of what an IPA is and was, loads of history of British IPA's really a very interesting book. Ives good insight into why the "American" IPA's are a damn sight closer to the tradition than most of the British pish masquerading as India Pale Ale!

Awolphotography said:
John_Henry said:

Read the book! It changes your perception / idea of what an IPA is and was, loads of history of British IPA's really a very interesting book. Ives good insight into why the "American" IPA's are a damn sight closer to the tradition than most of the British pish masquerading as India Pale Ale!

Sounds interesting. I'd agree on some of the English IPA's, but there's a lot of exceptional ones also. I guess because of it being written by an American makes me dubious, I'd be interested to hear what Martyn Cornell has to say about it. I read one of his comments stating "modern North American IPAs and early British IPAs could not be much more different." I guess I'll have to give it a read and decide for myself!

Awolphotography said:
John_Henry said:
********!!! Certainly the likes of Deuchars and Greene King cannot be classed as IPA's, but there is no way that a modern US IPA can be compared to a traditional IPA either.

The key to traditional IPA's is that they were aged before being sent to India ( that information is available in the brewing ledgers, If you have access to them), which means the bitterness and intense citrussy flavours would have mellowed a great deal. Like Awol I find the typical HOP forward fresh US IPA to be Bitter and Citrus/resin that they are not particularly enjoyable, but a nice 90IBU traditional IPA (Or even say a Durden Park IPA at 4oz of hops to the gallon!!) aged for 12 months to be a superb drink

Gents, this is a book review section, if you want to make your points as to whether you like American IPA's or make comments about America, I suggest you do it in another section, thanks.

Good Ed said:
Gents, this is a book review section, if you want to make your points as to whether you like American IPA's or make comments about America, I suggest you do it in another section, thanks.
Fair play Good Ed. My initial comment wasn't intended to start debate, just an initial query/thought I had of the the book in question. Feels a bit like a heated ladies book club now.

Aleman said:
Awolphotography said:
John_Henry said:
********!!! Certainly the likes of Deuchars and Greene King cannot be classed as IPA's, but there is no way that a modern US IPA can be compared to a traditional IPA either.

The key to traditional IPA's is that they were aged before being sent to India ( that information is available in the brewing ledgers, If you have access to them), which means the bitterness and intense citrussy flavours would have mellowed a great deal. Like Awol I find the typical HOP forward fresh US IPA to be Bitter and Citrus/resin that they are not particularly enjoyable, but a nice 90IBU traditional IPA (Or even say a Durden Park IPA at 4oz of hops to the gallon!!) aged for 12 months to be a superb drink

******** you ******* self.
Have you read my comment?

Latest posts

Back