Stainless Steel Fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you get better beer if you ferment in stainless steel?

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m currently brewing n normal plastic brew bins and a flat bottom Fermzilla. The attraction of stainless is durability and the perception that they will be easy to care for.

Last edited:
I am sure that many a great competition winning beer has been brewed in a plastic bucket, let alone PET fermenting vessels, pressured, and non pressured, surely it is nearly all to do with process rather than brewing in stainless steel equals great beer, brewing in plastic equals bad beer ?

Absolutely.

Last edited:
Thanks I was typing without my glasses on.
1682258258198.png

How do you find the Fermzilla, as i am thinking of getting one ?
FWIW
I have a couple of All rounders and really like them. I recently bought a Gen3 Tri conical on a whim. THB I have have found removing the lid to the collection container a PITA so much so it doesn’t get much use. Unless you want to harvest yeast I personally would stick with the All Rounder. Although I don’t generally brew under pressure I find that being able to add CO2 for closed transfers and cold crashing an absolute pleasure. Also the addition of the hop bong makes dry hopping very easy .

The jar concept of the fermzillas is a nice idea, but doesn't really work in reality. The only thing it is good for is harvesting yeast. The best thing about the new triclamp fermzilla is it opens up a whole new world of triclamp attachments so I'd install an elbow fitting and butterfly valve and ditch the jar. The ability of dumping trub before dry hopping with the hop bong gets you to the perfect o2 dry hopping process...at least as close as is possible.

I have a fermzilla and stainless conical. Though the conical is a lovey bit of kit and will last forever, it's time consuming to clean and I miss not being able to see the beer. For the price fermzillas and similar products are probably the sweet spot for home brewers.

I like the flat bottom Fermzilla. It’s not too heavy when full and has a tap included which sits above the sediment that collects in the ring around the bottom. Nice alternative to my normal plastic buckets as you can see the fermentation going on. The top is wide for cleaning it robust at the moment but don’t know long term as it does not sit on a stand. I’m in a quandary about getting another Fermzilla or invest in shiny steel.

@hoppyscotty - "Though the conical is a lovey bit of kit and will last forever, it's time consuming to clean and I miss not being able to see the beer."
Have you tried CIP? I rough wash then do a hot caustic for an hour with the pump, rinse -check then sanitise with PAA. But it's all with hoses/and pumps and dead easy. The effluent goes to storage tanks to neutralise then onto the allotment. Works well!

@hoppyscotty - "Though the conical is a lovey bit of kit and will last forever, it's time consuming to clean and I miss not being able to see the beer."
Have you tried CIP? I rough wash then do a hot caustic for an hour with the pump, rinse -check then sanitise with PAA. But it's all with hoses/and pumps and dead easy. The effluent goes to storage tanks to neutralise then onto the allotment. Works well!
Yes I use CIP and works really well but I still remove all the various attachments to the fermenter, the valves, taps and things after the CIP as I find that sometimes there can be stubborn bits of trub that gets stuck in the ports which can escape the CIP. I do get the hose in before CIP to wash out what I can with and try to aim it down the ports but it's not always 100% effective. It is a much larger fermenter so not able to lift it and shake it about like I do with my fermzilla so might be quicker than a smaller stainless fermenter.

Yes I use CIP and works really well but I still remove all the various attachments to the fermenter, the valves, taps and things after the CIP as I find that sometimes there can be stubborn bits of trub that gets stuck in the ports which can escape the CIP. I do get the hose in before CIP to wash out what I can with and try to aim it down the ports but it's not always 100% effective. It is a much larger fermenter so not able to lift it and shake it about like I do with my fermzilla so might be quicker than a smaller stainless fermenter.
It’s the plasticiser that makes plastics dangerous . It’s designed to make it more flexible
Phthalates are the worst and don’t degrade easily
Generally the less flexible the better
Don’t forget to passivate your stainless occasionally

Latest posts

Back