Stainless Steel Fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you get better beer if you ferment in stainless steel?

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
They're easier to clean and sanitise.

Both are inert so don't affect the outcome of the beer at all (assuming we exclude anything they could be harbouring)

Do you think the plastic buckets etc affect the quality of the beer that comes out? Even if they're not scratched etc?

Could be just me, but my first proper brew in my stainless fementer was much better quality than the last similar brew in a plastic unitank. Wondered if anyone had found the same.

Was looking at a kegmenter on BKT but they've sold out now. Boo.

Do you think the plastic buckets etc affect the quality of the beer that comes out? Even if they're not scratched etc?
No, I don't think it affects it at all. I didn't notice any difference in quality when switching. I switched because it was shiny and easier to clean/maintain and I needed a new fermenter.

Brulosophy didn't find any difference either: exBEERiment | Fermentation Vessel: Stainless Steel vs. Glass Carboy In An American IPA
While 11 tasters (p<0.05) would have had to accurately identified the odd-beer-out at this sample size, 5 (p=0.81) were able to do so

I don't give Brulosophy any of my time, his experiments don't mean anything to me and don't prove anything.
Agreed they don't prove anything (Brulosophy also says they don't prove anything either!). But do give a small body of evidence as to whether something affects the output or not. I find it useful and similar to people on the forum going "it did/didn't have any effect for me". Kind of similar to what this thread is doing 😃

Last edited:
If stainless FV's were the same price as plastic i doubt any of us would have a plastic one they look the business and i would love one but i cannot justify the price as i don't think my finished wines would be any better. :(

If stainless FV's were the same price as plastic i doubt any of us would have a plastic one they look the business and i would love one but i cannot justify the price as i don't think my finished wines would be any better. :(

If you do ever get one, don't get a bucket buddy 😂

Although it does maintain the temperature really well, I guess that is one advantage of them, in regards to possibly better quality beer.

That's the reason I've had clear fermenters for so long and didn't want kegs.

However now I'm glad I can't mess with my stainless one - I'm always worried I'm messing up the temp control when I open my fridge to have a look. What I mean by this is, the temperature getting to the probe that is taped to the fermenter drops, and it makes the heater kick in when it doesn't need to kick in. If I'd have left the fridge alone the heater wouldn't have come on (probably).

I do think doing this too often affects the temp control negatively. Just my opinion.

I think a quick peek will make hardly any difference (set up dependant). I used to put a blanket of tissue & tinfoil over the probe (tapped to the side of the fermenter) for insulation. Just got a thermowell for the FZ lid so the probe will be right in the beer and a quick peek will affect it even less now. Just praying I don't ruin the lid!

My plastic buckets are starting to look a bit ropey as they live on the garage floor and occasionally get persuaded out of the way with my boot and have stuff dumped amongst them. I could do with new really but never thought about steel. Advantages I can see...they'll last forever, easy to clean,not easy to break and a clamp shut lid for those monumental fermentation that make a right old mess! Disadvantages...cost,as I'd need at least two.
I'm off to Google steel fermentation buckets...I'll have to sneak them in though as I inadvertently bought more fishing rods this week that were too good a bargain to pass by.

I use stainless steel for two reasons one, I can pour boiling wort straight from the boiler into the fermentor, and two, they are also easier to clean, I suppose the fact that I can pour near boiling wort into them also helps ensure the fermentor is fully sanitised, and I have yet to have an infection since switching to stainless steel. Also they are very shiny which is the most important thing surely. But ultimately if I was doing a true cost benefit analysis I doubt they are actually worth the expense but I like them and can’t say I regret buying them.

Latest posts

Back