IPA conditioning time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
What are folks opinions on conditioning time for an IPA?

I'm 3 weeks into conditioning an Amarillo IPA. It's finally carbonated quite well but, possibly as it's not heavily hopped, it's still a little green tasting.

For me, at three weeks any brew lacks maturity.

I've kept beers for over a year with an ABV as low as 4% so I would just leave it and keep checking a bottle every week until it comes good.

The sad thing about this method is that quite often the brew "comes good" just as you finish drinking the last two bottles! If this happens then move the period out to once a fortnight. :thumb:

Some people say IPA's should age to to mimic the duration of the trip to India.
Mkay.
I say: unless the IPA has some bitter edges (or has a pound of Chinook or EKG per 40L) that need rounding, drink it fresh. It's not a lager.

For me, at three weeks any brew lacks maturity.

I've kept beers for over a year with an ABV as low as 4% so I would just leave it and keep checking a bottle every week until it comes good.

The sad thing about this method is that quite often the brew "comes good" just as you finish drinking the last two bottles! If this happens then move the period out to once a fortnight. :thumb:

This is my experience too, I know it's not specific to IPA mind you. My store of ale has quite a variety, and a lot of bottles, and with few exceptions the beers are really really good at 6 months or more. That's not to say they aren't good after say 2 months but they seem to age really well and get better and better.

IPAs though. I did a Proper Job IPA recently where the hops died completely after 6 weeks! Nothing, nada, nowt left. Couldn't believe the flavour and aroma disappeared almost overnight.
On the other hand I did a clone of Mr President, a DIPA about 90ibu's and its peaking now at about 4 months with no sign of dropping off yet.
I did a clone of dead pony club last year and the last bottle was as satisfying as the first, different, smoother probably, but still really nicely hopped.
If yours isn't right yet try and forget it for three weeks say, and then try one, I bet it'll taste much better, or possibly taste of bugger all! Who knows.

Contrary to what some say I find a really hoppy beer can still mature well and can gradually become a great tasting pale'if you can wait a few extra months
But if youve intentionally dry hopped a big amount of hops for a hop bomb type effect why wait until they've faded?

Latest posts

Back