Ireland's Trouble's legacy bill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it grotesque to think that people could be shielded from the law by virtue of the uniform they happened to be wearing at the time of an alleged murder.

Trials must go ahead. If those accused are innocent, then they will have their opportunity to defend themselves in court.

It only took 34 years to get a conviction. Terrible what the family have had to go through to get justice. Hopefully the murderers can no longer hide behind the uniform.
For years people brushed these kinds of “accidents” under the carpet hopefully justice will be served for the murders on Bloody Sunday and all the other unlawful killings.

Unfortunately this could the last conviction.
Good chance the British gov pushes through an amnesty bill.

The statement from Aidans family was very moving

Unfortunately this could the last conviction.
Good chance the British gov pushes through an amnesty bill.

The statement from Aidans family was very moving
How can they convict on this and provide amnesty on all the others ? If I was the soldier convicted of this murder then I would be very annoyed that I was hung out to dry to enable exemption for all the others.
After all the man was only carrying out his orders eh ?

How can they convict on this and provide amnesty on all the others ? If I was the soldier convicted of this murder then I would be very annoyed that I was hung out to dry to enable exemption for all the others.
After all the man was only carrying out his orders eh ?
It's been reported by RTE and BBC that the British gov is planning an amnesty.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, the families deserve justice.

It's been reported by RTE and BBC that the British gov is planning an amnesty.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, the families deserve justice.

It will only be UK law, so won't matter soon.

The usual argument I hear is pure whataboutery. Yes, prisoners of all shades were released under GFA. A false analogy. None were a state actor.

Those that claim a higher legal/moral authority (i.e. they were peacekeepers) must be held to account to that level. Otherwise anything in civil disobedience, war, whatever you want to call it is fair game.

The GFA needed to happen. It did not and was never intended to absolve Britain's actions on innocent civilians. Mercer is playing the fiddle to a very small base of Tory voters.

RIP Aidan McAnespie, your family finally has some sense of justice. RIP to all those we lost during the troubles. This Bill will do nothing for any of them.

Last edited:
It will only be UK law, so won't matter soon.

The usual argument I hear is pure whataboutery. Yes, prisoners of all shades were released under GFA. A false analogy. None were a state actor.

Those that claim a higher legal/moral authority (i.e. they were peacekeepers) must be held to account to that level. Otherwise anything in civil disobedience, war, whatever you want to call it is fair game.

The GFA needed to happen. It did not and was never intended to absolve Britain's actions on innocent civilians. Mercer is playing the fiddle to a very small base of Tory voters.

RIP Aidan McAnespie, your family finally has some sense of justice. RIP to all those we lost during the troubles. This Bill will do nothing for any of them.
Well said sir.

Miami Showband is just one example.

Cross membership of UDF/UDR needs to be examined.
Collusion goes a lot deeper than local police forces / loyalist terrorist organisations. Truth will never be told on any of it but any headway into it will expose the British war machine for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back