IRISH MOSS or PROTAFLOC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Good afternoon all.

Im planning on getting a brew on sometime this weekend and was wondering which would be the best to use to filter the proteins, IRISH MOSS or PROTAFLOC TABLETS?

DSiv

Recommended dose of Protofloc is 1 to 4g per hectolitre. The small tablets are just about 2g. If you use more, you could end up with 'cauliflower' in the brew. Just search for the pictures, it makes life difficult.

i used a whole one on my first AG - it got a little lumpy in the FV, my second i used a half for a 23l brew
would a half do for a 35l brew?

I've suffered with the overuse of protofloc = cauliflower problem.

Great product used in the right quantities.

Ah, right.
I've had the cauliflower, been wondering what it was. :roll:
Doesn't cause a problem for me as I use a secondary FV anyway.

jamesb said:
Recommended dose of Protofloc is 1 to 4g per hectolitre. The small tablets are just about 2g. If you use more, you could end up with 'cauliflower' in the brew. Just search for the pictures, it makes life difficult.
Really, :shock: i didn't know that, i've using whole ones in my 21litre brews.

I use 1 in a 25L brew no probs
I did however, and ve dumbly, think that if one was barely clearing then two would work a treat...... Wrong. I had a cauliflower that would have won a prize at Chelsea...

Now use Irish Moss. and I think / seem to get good / better results with it.

i think i have this cauliflower thing happening to one of my ales now, i used irish moss tho ?? im a bit worried for it because it looks very strange. its the first time i have used it.
IMG00235-20110310-1048.jpg

Looks just like cauliflower from protofloc. what quantity moss did you use for how much wort. Also was it powder?

its dried young's irish moss, I followed the amount recommended i think, it says add 1tsp at las 15 minuets of boil I assume thats for a 5-gallon brew. but i lost a lot of wort to the hops. is it worth finishing the brew or is it fecked do u think?

Hey SC
when exactly was that pic taken? Is that in the boiler or the FV?

fv. i transferred from boiler to fv then let all the frothy head die down and took the pic as i was about to pitch the yeast. normaly i would pitch the yeast right away but was curious if i could see the wort to be any clearer than normal to try and understand the moss

That is weird innit! I've had the problem with protafloc (as it seems many have) but never with the old Irish!
Good luck with it - hope it comes on ok!
:cheers:

im going to keep with it and see how it turns out, it doesnt smell bad or anything so i think it must just be that the irish has done what its ment to maybe iv used far to much without realizing .

the strange cauliflower brew turned out great it seems, super clear!! it all settled out with the yeast but i dont think i will be re using the yeast from this one.

I too had this Cauliflower effect on my last brew, however 3 months later its the best pint i've brewed! So its to do with putting too much irish moss in then?

Back