Is burnt toast a health risk?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm reminded of the time I was driving along and listening to a phone-in programme on the radio about "dieting and health".

A man phoned in and says to the Doctor on the programme ...

"Heart attacks are almost unheard of in Japan.
If I follow a Japanese diet will I live longer?"​

To which the Doctor replied ...

"The typical Japanese diet mainly consists of raw fish and boiled rice.
I don't know whether or not you will live any longer
but it will almost certainly seem a lot longer."

I've used this as my yardstick ever since when considering dietary scare stories! :thumb:

I always find that I need a burger or some chips after sushi :lol:

As for burnt toast known about for some time, but I hardly eat toast, but burnt bacon, well roasted belly pork, roast potatoes, the odd burnt chip hmmm

Could cut back on burnt sausages which I seem to end up with on a regular basis, still slim given the **** I eat, but also eat lots of different fruits a week, maninly grape based...lol :lol:

I dont know about this cancer scare, but when they had the last one about processed and smoked meats I saw what the actual increase in chances of getting cancer was as the study that was published and caused the "scare" found. It increased from 6 in 1000 to 7 in 1000. that equates to about a 16% increase in risk which was the headline, but I'm not giving up bacon for that small increase.

If you really want to reduce Mrs Tea's cancer risk I suggest you switch to only natural perfumes, air fresheners, etc. I noticed years ago that it only ever seemed to be people who wore really strong perfume all the time that were getting cancer. After I noticed a few in quick succession I started counting. That was about 20 years ago and I have counted 18 people who have had cancer. its something like 15 or 16 of them I can link to daily use of very strong perfumes, or excessive exposure to perfumed products like cleaning products, strong air fresheners (plug ins are the worst as they keep topping up the toxins). My research on the internet since has the chemical scents are made from petrochemicals which are waste products from oil refining/petrol production, they contain what are described as toxins, neurotoxins, carcinogenics, hormone inhibitors, formaldehyde and other chemicals.

But as I say with everything, dont take my word for it, do your own research.

I dont know about this cancer scare, but when they had the last one about processed and smoked meats I saw what the actual increase in chances of getting cancer was as the study that was published and caused the "scare" found. It increased from 6 in 1000 to 7 in 1000. that equates to about a 16% increase in risk which was the headline, but I'm not giving up bacon for that small increase.

If you really want to reduce Mrs Tea's cancer risk I suggest you switch to only natural perfumes, air fresheners, etc. I noticed years ago that it only ever seemed to be people who wore really strong perfume all the time that were getting cancer. After I noticed a few in quick succession I started counting. That was about 20 years ago and I have counted 18 people who have had cancer. its something like 15 or 16 of them I can link to daily use of very strong perfumes, or excessive exposure to perfumed products like cleaning products, strong air fresheners (plug ins are the worst as they keep topping up the toxins). My research on the internet since has the chemical scents are made from petrochemicals which are waste products from oil refining/petrol production, they contain what are described as toxins, neurotoxins, carcinogenics, hormone inhibitors, formaldehyde and other chemicals.

But as I say with everything, dont take my word for it, do your own research.

You know I always say this about air freshners, perfumes etc. Although maybe those that you've noticed using stromg perfume are covering the 'cancer smell' that some women can smell, as with most diseases. Us men are often nose blind!

If you really want to reduce Mrs Tea's cancer risk I suggest you switch to only natural perfumes, air fresheners, etc.

Mrs Tea will be fine she doesn't like strong perfume and the house stinks of burnt toast which she likes so she doesn't cover it up with air-freshener. :wink:

Reactions: Ale
Almost certainly over sensationalised by the media to try and get some more clicks on their website.

Lol I've no need to worry about perfume, aftershave etc - my natural odour is beer,bacca,engine oil and sweat. The missus loves it. I don't call meself Gunge for nowt y'know! Real men don't go within a mile of anything 'scenty'.

What wrong with wearing scents to enhance your appearance, i often dab Dettol, behind my ears ,and those scented toilet sugar cubes are great for rubbing under your arms or around your face after shaving , mind some times the brown bits get stuck on the bristles, I STINK THERE FORE I AM Quoted by that famous philosopher Wayne Slob

When I was a child I had to get bathed in Omo and Wimsol. The senior ones amongst you will know what I mean. Put me off cleanliness ever since.

When I was a child I had to get bathed in Omo and Wimsol. The senior ones amongst you will know what I mean. Put me off cleanliness ever since.

When you have stood in the sink and your mother has scrubbed your knackers and winkle with a old tea towel and ajax you will understand the luxury of a tin bath in front of a coal fire , it was baby sister first , then my younger brother then me. I was always poxed from grubbing around in the swamps and woods, or playing football, the crux came when one of the youngens s**t in the bath and mam fished it out, stuck another kettle of hot water in and i and a bar of carbolic followed, Then sat in front of the coal fire wrapped in a blanket toasting burning :lol: mams home made bread with a toasting fork (i still have that toasting fork) and eating it covered in butter with hot milk or coca , Sorry to mention burnt toast apparently it kills you :doh:

It's a miracle how any anyone of recent generations manage to survive these sterile,antiseptic,oh-so-clean days, us old un's wonder!

You bring back some memories there, Sunday night bath followed by drying your hair in front of the coal fire.

We had a toast fork, remember your mam cooking food on the fire when you had power cuts which happened frequently in those days.

Bathing in the sink on a sunday, hmm not partlicularly fun at 20...lol

no more so than over indulging on most things like beer, people, learn your lessons early with habits and likes before its too late,far better to nip things in the bud first

.......... mother has scrubbed your knackers and winkle with a old tea towel and ajax ..........

The kid next door was the same age as me and when he was about five years old he mangled his knackers by riding his trike into the coal-house door.

I could well understand his agony but the embarrassment was probably harder to bear!

For the life of me, I still can't understand why his Mam felt that she had to stand him on the wall between our two houses with his trousers round his ankles and get my Mam and the woman next-door-but-one to come over and examine his tackle before they all decided that it probably wasn't a life threatening injury.

I suppose nowadays Social Services would take him into care 'cos his Mam didn't immediately take him to A&E! :doh:

The kid next door was the same age as me and when he was about five years old he mangled his knackers by riding his trike into the coal-house door.

I could well understand his agony but the embarrassment was probably harder to bear!

For the life of me, I still can't understand why his Mam felt that she had to stand him on the wall between our two houses with his trousers round his ankles and get my Mam and the woman next-door-but-one to come over and examine his tackle before they all decided that it probably wasn't a life threatening injury.

I suppose nowadays Social Services would take him into care 'cos his Mam didn't immediately take him to A&E! :doh:

LOVE THAT ONE MATE:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:: There was a kid i played with who had a scooter called Alan Brookes he had manky teeth and a scooter with no rubber grips on the handles, one day he fell and took his eye clean out like a apple corer on the handle bar tube, the funny bit was when he went for his glass eye they didnt have one his colour so stuck a green one in temp the lad took some stick one Brown and one Green :lol::lol::lol::lol:

........ they didnt have one his colour so stuck a green one in temp the lad took some stick one Brown and one Green :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Love it, and I can understand him getting some stick 'cos there was no such thing as "being PC" in those days; especially at school.

The kid that taught me how to tie my shoe-laces on my first day at school only had one eye! Unfortunately, they didn't give you a glass eye until you were a grown-up so he wore an eye-patch until he got fed-up of kids asking him "Where's your parrot?" and went "au naturel" so to speak.

You soon got used to kids who were "different" in those days as we were all lumped into the one village school.

Apart from "the kid with one eye", we also had kids who were "slow", kids with Cerebral Palsy or Downes Syndrome (neither ailments known by their proper names), kids with minor deformities such as hare-lips rickets, pigeon chests, pigeon toes, knock-knees, bowed-legs etc, kids with minor ailments such as ringworm, nits etc ...

... and we all learned and played together despite the "differences" and the ****-taking that went on! :thumb: :thumb:

Looking back, we had so many "different" kids maybe us "normal" kids were the ones that were "different"! :whistle: :whistle:

Happy Days! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back