Is it ok to use an aluminium pot to do extract brewing???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyt69

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi i have aquired a 25 ltr aluminium casserole pot and was wondering if it would be ok to use for boiling in extract brewing or does it have to be stainless steel?? cheers in advance and sorry if this subject is covered elsewhere i just couldnt find it.

I don't see why not, Guinness used to use massive aluminium fermenters, I'd be unsure what to use for cleaning though.

Although am unsure whether you would get a metallic taste to the brew Aleman would be the best to answer this methinks.

UP

Years back BAG (Before All Grain) I did extract brews and partial grain using a 20 ltr aluminium stock pot

And I'm o bgdsyhsdj vhshjv js b neyyiggit neyyiggit

:grin:

Sorry .... yup, aluminium should be fine.

My boiler's aluminium, seems fine to me, no taint I can discern :thumb:

Oh, and I clean it with soapy water UP ;)

Thanks guys time for me to take the next step from kits me thinks and move into Extract. cant wait!!

I have to admit evanvine I am feeling a stong pull from the darkside recently :twisted: :drink:

I remember getting my first delivery of grain .. it's like birthday and christmas coming at once.

It was so nice I almost didn't want to use it.

:D

Don't use a SS scrubber on aluminium. Alumimium has a passive surface oxide layer, which gives it corrosion resistance. Scouring or polishing it will remove this layer.

Just use one of those plastic type scrubbies, or a sponge, and remove just the obvious crud etc, no more. It's all I do with my aluminium kettle. No need to get it looking sparkling. It all gets sanitised during the next boil in any event.

Back