Is it worth getting a bottle tree/rinser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the tree but my LHBS told me not to bother with the squirter as star san rots the spring

Runwell-Steve said:
Blueface said:
I got the tree but my LHBS told me not to bother with the squirter as star san rots the spring

Starsan hasn't hurt mine.

Thats good to know, he told me I'd be back moaning about the spring in about 6 months as everyone does lol
I'll just buy one elsewhere :-p

Best thing since sliced bread, those that say they dont need them would soon change there minds if they used it on a big batch. I rinse each bottle after use to remove any sedimet etc. then store in boxes. When rebottling takes probably 10mins or less to sterlize 40 or so bottles, as for the spring rotting how can it when it is stainless? I also use the squirter to sterilize tubing, little bottler, demijohns anything that you can squirt into, obviously with a no rinse such as Star San. Dont hesitate, get one you will not regret it!

StevieDS said:
I'm with LeithR on this one, I can't see how it would benefit me.
When I pour a beer the bottle gets brushed, rinsed, good spray with starsan then capped with a little square of tin foil.
Then on bottling day I give each bottle a shake, remove cap, pour out excess starsan and fill.
I don't faff around trying to balance the bottles upside down to completely drain.

Ditto. Except I use those little plastic reseal caps (also Starsanned) so they're literally airtight once sanitised.

Bottling day comes; yank the bottle crates out, reseals off, shake out excess, fill with little bottler, cap, back in crates, done. Barely more than half an hour for a 40 pint batch. :grin:

+1 for a tree, a bottle rinser, star san and a little bottler.

I did my first 2 brews without this kit but now I wouldn't do without it :thumb:

It is much more easy with a rinser, I would definitely buy a kit right away if I didn't have one.

I wouldn't be without my bottling tree, bottle sterliser (squirter), bench capper, little bottler and star-san. At the moment I am turning a 40 bottle batch every 2 weeks to build up stock, so have a reasonable throughput.

Obviously you can get by without them if you want to, but I find it MUCH easier with them. If you don't do much brewing though, that is a fair bit of stuff to store as the tree and bench capper are quite bulky items.

Horses for courses and all that.....

Thanks everyone

Looks like I'll be spending some of my birthday money... I'm a big fan on labour saving devices as short on time mostly...

:D

I too am a convert to a bottle tree. However, if you're looking to make something or spend some cash a fermentation fridge would be higher up my list.

Quick question about starsan. Do you fill a small bucket and drop a bottle in to fill up, empty it back in bucket and repeat?

Currently still using vwp and the rinsing is really doing my nut in.

Maffa said:
Quick question about starsan. Do you fill a small bucket and drop a bottle in to fill up, empty it back in bucket and repeat?

Currently still using vwp and the rinsing is really doing my nut in.

You could but much much easier is to invest in a bottle steriliser/rinser, push the bottle down a couple of times then onto the tree, simples!

What about using a spray bottle, like they use for misting plants, would that work? As I've got one of those at home, but I haven't got a bottle rinser.

Excellent, cheers. Just got to wait for the StarSan to arrive now, and then I won't feel so guilty at using so much water sterilising my kit.

Well, my last post in this thread prompted me to check the delivery status of my order. Imagine my surprise when it said the parcel had been delivered yesterday! There was no note through the door to say it had been left with neighbours, or that it had been left where I had requested if I or the neighbours weren't in. So I went to check my requested drop off place, and instead found it getting rained on outside the back door. :nono:

Gits, gits gits. :evil:

Ah well, my stuff is here, sound if not safe. Which means that next brew day /bottling day, things will hopefully go much smoother. :party: Next job is to raid the local pubs for empty bottles to use on my bottling tree.

Back