Is this beer ok?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelsy81

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was going to bottle a coopers IPA tonight. Has been fermenting for 14 days and gravity reading was 1.004 a week ago. When I opened the FV today I saw this (pictured) which is like a film of stuff on top and also lots of particles just suspended in the liquid. I have never had this before. I added a hop tea to the kit with dextrose and muntons spray malt. Smells lovely but dont really want to bottle it with all yhat stuff floating in it. Any ideas?

1456941683821-1083770854.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much. It's not completely clear from your pic where the film is. It might be hop oil from the hop tea. I sometimes get a slight oily film on the top of my brews. Never had a problem from it.

The floating bits just look like yeast to me. If it smells good, bottle it and I'm sure it will turn out fine :thumb:

I'm with the others. Bottle it and see what it's like. There are no pathogens that will survive in beer, so if there is something bad in there the worse that will happen is it'll taste horrible.

Cheers guys, bottled it and wasn't as bad as it looked. I think most of the stuff floating in the beer was in the top inch or 2. As I syphoned it was pretty clear and looks fine in the bottles. Looking forward to trying it now in a few weeks. Thanks again for the advice.

Anything floating around in the FV, you can usually get it to drop out by cold crashing it. Right now is the perfect time to do this. Cold outside.

Latest posts

Back