it started with a gift....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfy

Reaction score
Hello my names smurfy and im new here.

A while ago I was given a woodfordes micro brewery kit and a book about home brewing by graham wheeler.

I brewed up the Wherry as instructions and put it in a keg, while it was conditioning in my kitchen, i went on holiday for a week in spain. Whilst everyone else was reading 'hello' magazine or some thriller crime novel, i was reading up on real page turner titled HOME BREWING :thumb:

Anyway i came home and was immediatly greeted by the smell of beer, followed shortly by a swarm of fruit flies :doh:
The dam keg had leaked under the pressure of the still fermenting beer! well whilst smurfette went to bed exhasted, i went on a fruit fly killing rampage! :twisted:

The hobby was nearly over before it had really began! But whilst i was cleaning up the mess, i opened a cupboard to find the source of the flys....... a big bag of rotting vegtables which smurfette had forgotten about and of course this was the sole cause of the flies and had nothing to do with my innocent fermenting beer :party:

All is forgotten now and you know what they say, time is a good healer, it also helped the wherry become a great beer eventually.

So that was my first brewing experiance :rofl:

Ive now done a few kits and they have all been really good.

Heres a quick list of them:

Wherry
Wilko's golden ale
Festival Golden Stag
The range - IPA with spraymalt instead of dextrose - im drinking this now and its fantastic.
Festival Summer Glory Golden Ale - thats still in the primary fermenter and smelling lovely!

For Christmas i got a 35 litre boil kettle and a couple of kits. im really looking forward to trying these.

Anyway that was a long introduction wasnt it! I've been reading this forum for help and advice, now its my turn to ask silly questions and generally make a fool of myself!

See you around folks :cheers:

thankyou for the warm welcome folks :hat:

I was wondering the other day what happened to ready steady cook on tv. that was a good show. i liked the bit where the contestents present the chefs with a shopping bag of seeminly random items and they have to think up a meal.

If i presented a experianced brewer with a selection of hops and grains, do you think they would be able to knock up a fantastic brew?

My favorite beers from the shops at the moment are; Goose island IPA, st. Austell proper job, badger's golden champion and hopping hare. brewdog punk ipa is another favorite, and i was given a few kernal brewery ones which i thought were brilliant

Anyway im rambling, this ipa kit from the range is really quite nice :tongue:

Hello and welcome.

I am not that experienced, but if you wanna pop round with some grains and hops i will give it a go ;)

smurfy said:
If i presented a experianced brewer with a selection of hops and grains, do you think they would be able to knock up a fantastic brew?

Maybe...

...they'd certainly be able to produce something worth drinking. :thumb:

Hi Smurfy,

about to bottle an IPA kit from the range (on sunday in fact) can you recommend priming with malt and sugar to adjust the flavour or is it good just with sugar?

I used LME and dark agave nectar and also added a little more bittering hops. Been tasting from the trail jar (it settled at 5.6% ish) and it tastes brilliant!

I was thinking half LME and half regular sugar. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Ballard

Latest posts

Back