January 2021 comp - American pale ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rate is based on weight, parcel size, and the service (standard, tracked, special guaranteed delivery, etc).

Buy ā€œsmall parcelā€ sized boxes and use PET bottles (they weigh less and need less packaging to be safe than glass).

The parcel HAS to be less than 2Kg or you immediately move into ā€œmedium parcelā€ regardless of size.

Small parcel costs: second class is Ā£3.10, first class is Ā£5.57

Medium parcel costs: second class Ā£8.99, first class Ā£15.85

Because this parcel contained 3 glass bottles the weight will be over 2Kg and youā€™re paying medium parcel prices from the off.

PET bottles are definitely the way forward for beer mail. I avoided using them for the best part of a decade but they just make sense. They are easier to fill from a keg and won't break during transit. Glass bottles are just laden with potential problems.

I bottle condition my beer and I've never liked the idea of storing my beer in plastic even though I drink water and fizzy drinks out of it without worrying

Too late to enter? I can get it in the post tomorrow.

And how strict is this on US hops only? I have an pale on keg which is brewed for my globe trotting sister in law so has some US and some NZ/Aus hops too.

If it's allowed are they any tips on botting without any special gadgets? Just purge a bottle, drop the pressure and fill carefully?

The rate is based on weight, parcel size, and the service (standard, tracked, special guaranteed delivery, etc).

Buy ā€œsmall parcelā€ sized boxes and use PET bottles (they weigh less and need less packaging to be safe than glass).

The parcel HAS to be less than 2Kg or you immediately move into ā€œmedium parcelā€ regardless of size.

Small parcel costs: second class is Ā£3.10, first class is Ā£5.57

Medium parcel costs: second class Ā£8.99, first class Ā£15.85

Because this parcel contained 3 glass bottles the weight will be over 2Kg and youā€™re paying medium parcel prices from the off.

Bastards have put their postage up now Mr H... Ā£3.20 small parcel ā˜¹ļø

I bottle condition my beer and I've never liked the idea of storing my beer in plastic even though I drink water and fizzy drinks out of it without worrying
I hear ya. I was the same. But if you think you might be sending a couple in the mail, wouldn't hurt to just add a couple of PETs to the bottling process.

Too late to enter? I can get it in the post tomorrow.

And how strict is this on US hops only? I have an pale on keg which is brewed for my globe trotting sister in law so has some US and some NZ/Aus hops too.

If it's allowed are they any tips on botting without any special gadgets? Just purge a bottle, drop the pressure and fill carefully?
Not too late to enter, mate. If it has US hops in it, I think that'll be fine.

I think if you put the bottle in the freezer for a while, purge it, fill with a party tap with a length of line on the end that reaches the bottom of the bottle and pour it slowly, it should be ok. It's a pain in the ****. If you have a plastic PET bottle, you can squeeze it so you can cap on foam.

Get yourself a carbonation cap and some PET bottles. Dead easy to fill from the keg.

Latest posts

Back