Jennings Cockerhoop Clone - First AG of 2016!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
4230 Maris Otter
470 Torrefied Wheat
28 Black Malt

Start of boil: 45g Challenger

Last 10 minutes: 12g Bobek

Flame out: 7g Bobek

No photos today, but it's my usual method - insulated FV mash, dunk sparge, 3-pans-on-the-stove-boil, chill in the sink.

I screwed up the mash temperature, which ended up closer to 69. I only realised this after the 90 minutes - as Clibit has pointed out to me before, it is easy when mashing in to get wrong readings, I read low and added boiling water, I guess it wasn't fully mixed in. I don't know what effect this will have, but nothing can be done. I should have trusted the strike calculator! Still learning.

So, a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil as well.

The chilling worked particularly well today. As the smaller pan came to the boil first, I was able to stagger the chill on the 2 pans I ended up with. I ended up with 18L of 1065 at 23C after only half an hour.

Liqored back and got 21 Lts at 1052 - 75% efficiency. This is pretty good for me!

Apart from the strike temperature, a good brew day. I trusted my method and got on with other stuff (firewood, cleaning out animals, tidying house etc), so that whilst the whole process was around 6 hours, it probably only took 3 hours of my time.

Cheers

Martin

I'll show you this picture so you know what to expect from all that torrified wheat! My recipe was quite similar but not quite as much TW. Only conditioned at 5-7PSI and served at 2PSI.

As for mashing, well 69 degrees will still mash (you've not killed the process) but you might find your final gravity is quite high (1.016?) and the beer a bit "heavy" because at that temperature you will produce more un-fermentable sugars. Hardly a disaster, and you might get to see how mashing can be tuned.

2016-01-15 14.12.40 WEB2.jpg

This one has moved fast, 1 week in and it is down to 1012. I think I may have got away with screwing up the mash temperature.

Once again, I am finding that beer is quite 'forgiving' of mistakes.

Cheers

Martin

First one cracked tonight, as storm Isabel rages outside. A taste of summer, really pleased - clean, bitter with just-right hop hit.

Head retention poor, but that will improve with time.

Cheers

Martin

cock.jpg

Back