job interviews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceo

Landlord.
Reaction score
as many of you know i am looking for another job . i had been 8 years since i had been on a real-ish one. went on one this week part time at a local b&q, min wage. 13 people turned up when there was meant to be 9? spend 1h 1/2 in a assessment getting to know each other, doing a sales pitch on a random product and team building(build a tower out of paper) . needless to say i got a sorry email an hour after i got home.

got another interview next week as an online order shopper(sainsburys). part time. went for this a few weeks ago but had given up on hearing anything back. got a text to say i got an interview? after having to fast track a new long form birth cert as i had lost mine(the mrs has tidied it was somewhere) i got to do a q&a session with a dvd, a maths test and customer service role play before i even get to an interview. i did ask how many have gone for the job "2" so i hope im in with a shot :wha:

since when did you have to sit tests and do role playing just for a basic job. bring back the days of doing door to door asking if you lasted the week the jobs yours. so much simpler

Best of luck with next week. I always hated interviews, never had to do roll play though, but quite a few presentations, which in some ways is probably easier than roll play as at least you've got time to prepare.

Try and think of some good questions to ask about the roll, future prospects, future training opportunities, etc etc., as this could make you stand out from the others. I used to always wear a brightish tie, so they would hopefully remember that if they didn't remember me.

I've carried out interviews a few times over the years and it is hard to remember some applicants, so a good tie, or a good cleavage always works. I'd stick to the tie if I was you!! :D

Good luck.

thanks cornish

I dont fancy shaving my chest for the cleavage iv already got :sick:

iv got a new suit im yet to wear . black silver pin or old brown pink/blue pin

iceo said:
since when did you have to sit tests and do role playing just for a basic job

It sounds like basic numeracy is a requirement for the post, but not to a formal level. They probably get loads of applicants, so a basic test is an effective way to screen out people who just can't add up.

Similarly, the role play sounds like a crude way of screening out totally unsuitable candidates. In a customer facing job, shyness might be a disadvantage, but not be listed on the application form like a disability.

In a large company, they might just be following a set procedure that is determined centrally, designed to ensure "best practice".

The interviewer might have a fixed set of questions they have to go through, and a limited time, so answer their questions first, and there will probably be a chance at the end for you to talk.

Be cheery and enthusiastic. Eager, but not desperate.

With the rise of on-line shopping, do they ever see themselves branching out and tackling the likes of Amazon?

Since people can shop online 24/7, does the store operate 24/7? Do they have flexible working patterns? Do they ship overseas? I know some people who live abroad and would love to get their hands on home comforts such as tea bags and cereal.

Perhaps you could ask about their values and how this translates into marketing strategy / target demographic; and the day-to-day operations. "Values" might be "sustainability" and "animal welfare", which is behind the phrase "responsibly sourced" which appears on a lot of their own-brand products. "Target demographic" might be "middle to upper income groups". You could ask about how they are keeping customers with the general economic down turn, and the rise of the discount stores. How do they differentiate themselves? This is basically a ploy to invite them to talk about what they think is good about Sainsburys, which in turn makes them feel good.

Perhaps you could read up on some recent news ( telegraph ) and ask about something there.

A couple of questions should be enough, maybe with a backup question in case they don't really answer one of them. Oh, don't just repeat what I've said - make sure you understand the question - some interviewers can spot when you're just trying to sound clever.

Try this as a mind trick. YOU ARE PERFECT FOR THE JOB. Now tell them why.

Good luck :thumb:

M

sounds like a similar interview style to most retailers. i used to be an assistant store manager at argos so ill share some of the info ive learnt along the way..

1, working hours. staff that can work anytime of the week are more desirable than staff that cannot. even if there is specific hours days you can do say you can do them all and once you get the job then let them know.

2, in group interviews you need to stand out, take charge and be as confident as possible.

3, product knowledge, is a big bonus in the retail industry its clear b and q have a huge range but knowing all the different categories is a good start.

4, customer service. in recent times with internet shopping becoming so big stores have to concentrate on the whole shopping experience. its an age old retail saying but you need to be 100% customer focused and show the company you will be.

they are my tips for what its worth :)

best of luck!

Message to self, you become cynical after drinking wine, do not post! :grin:

Do you want the job?

Seriously, do you WANT this job?

Is the job a picker, or a driver? If it's a driver I don't think it;s that bad...

I use Sainsbury for my on line shopping and most of the folks doing the job are OK, smart enough to have a laugh with, smart enough to understand that they can't waste time having an in depth laugh with me because they have to get to the next drop. Happily none of them are miserable, if they were and it was job related I'd use someone else.

So, accepting that the pressure will be on to get 'x' deliveries done in an hour, and you'll get canned if you fail to do this too often, is the wage worth what you will perceive as the 'stress'? I've got mates who'd rather walk on broken glass than drive delivery, I've also got mates who do enjoy it no end, it takes all types.

If you do want the job DO NOT ask for expenses unless offered, for a basic wage job it's a sure fire way of being put on the black list, you've travelled to the interview in unemployed hours, you can (theoretically) get the bus fare etc back from HMGovt as you are UB40. I'd love to work for Dan's place where they pay expenses for minimum wage interviews, I'd be asking for the hourly rate while on the interview :)

FWIW I didn't think any of the supermarkets paid minimum wage for any role, they appreciate that people understand the meaning of minimum wage (if you could pay less you would, you do not value them) and try to separate themselves from that cess pit, if only marginally.

Employment in the UK is not going to the get better in the near future, so pick whatever your qualifications fit you for and dedicate yourself to it, then be the best you can be to keep the job.

Otherwise, find somewhere overseas that wants your skills and go.

My view of the future ofr UK PLC is quite poor :(

thank you for the all the input.

as the store is only a mile form home i wont be claiming expenses as its part and parcel of going for a job in the first place. the hours are fixed but thats what im guessing has put people off between 5-10am 3 days a week as a order picker . yes i do want it as the hours suit my family life better and its better than want iv already got think i might get 8 shifts this month

Living close to the store is an advantage - less trouble with traffic, so more reliable; and easier to drop in and do a shift at short notice.

iceo said:
... the hours suit my family life better and its better than want iv already got...
This is a positive IMHO, because you won't treat the job as a joke - you'd rather not screw it up and have to go back.

You have a good attitude towards work and this will come out in the interview.

It sounds like you really are an excellent candidate.

Good luck :thumb:

ALso, mention you have a young family and you want to get a little more security for them. They may then feel you will stay in the job longer than a single unattached person.

When I used to interview staff (surveyors) I always wanted someone who I thought would stay a decent length of time, so I didn't have to keep going through the induction procedure, so anyone with a family, especially a young one, would indicate they would be more inclined to stay longer and want a bit of stability in their own life too.

Worth a mention, but I'm no personnel expert.

iceo said:
thank you for the all the input.

as the store is only a mile form home i wont be claiming expenses as its part and parcel of going for a job in the first place. the hours are fixed but thats what im guessing has put people off between 5-10am 3 days a week as a order picker . yes i do want it as the hours suit my family life better and its better than want iv already got think i might get 8 shifts this month

Sounds like you have a lot of advantages to the store, just make sure you cover the points during the interview :)

1. The hours suit you, you willnot be looking for them to move you to the day shift after a couple of weeks / months.
2. You need to provide for your family, so aren't likely to be unreliable.
3. You live locally so aren't going to have trouble getting in if the weather is poor.
4. Tou actually want the job, you're applying because the DHSS have sent you.

I hope you get it, best of luck at the interview.

Thank you for the support guys

To day is the day , suit and shirts all pressed (had to buy a new iron) , steels need a wipe, all I'd and paper work found , new pad and pen, stress level high, 3 s's,

Going for a quick blast in the car to clear my head before I have to be there . On a brewing note going to keg my harvest brew this afternoon ready to take to a mate's next weekend with another few kegs for a lads night in

When you go in, take a deep breath, hold your head high and smile warmly.
If the person interviewing you likes you when they first meet you, it goes a very long way in your favour.

So much comes down to body language and the first impression you make, so try to be as confident as you can without being cocky and then the rest will hopefully flow a bit easier. You will potentially be on the customer facing side of the company, so the interviewer will probably be thinking about what the customer will think when they meet you, ie is he friendly, helpful and does he smile...?

I have interviewed loads of people in the past (although not for this kind of role) and never did any of the stupid B&Q style role play nonsense, but I know the interviewers are often told what they have to do by HR, so bear with it if it happens!

Good Luck!

Titch said:
good luck fella

i have an interview next tuesday ;)

let us know how it went

hope yours goes well titch.

got there about 15 minutes early (pissing it down ) so sat in car having a vape and waiting for a gap in the weather. was left waiting in the staff room for 5 minutes (nice staffroom big screen tv, dart board ) was called in to the training room by a good looking young lass in her 20's( the interviewer) so better then an a old battleaxe or a stuffed shirt. so felt a little more relaxed , confirmed job details, updated any missing bits, then had to sit thought a dvd (40 minutes) while doing a Q&A and very basic maths there was 4 sections and 4 questions on each then 20 personalty questions.

might have to wait up to 7 days to find out if i get the job :?

but i was told when the 2 induction day are going to be :wha:

so im not sure but it felt good so got my self a bottle of b bock from batemans to take my mind off it

Latest posts

Back