Just bought a Raspberry pi

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrotherMalice said:
They are about to release a camera moule for the pi that may be good for your project

I've got a few USB webcams knocking around from the time when my laptop did not have one integrated - good use for one of them ;)

Bought RaspBMC? It is free. What do you mean?
Have you tried the Raspi forums BM?

anthonyUK said:
Bought RaspBMC? It is free. What do you mean?
Have you tried the Raspi forums BM?

I'm guessing he bought an SD card with it preloaded :thumb:
Falafael here is someone with experience of XBMC on the pi :cool:

Yeah, bought an 8gb class 10 SD card with raspbmc pre installed, with the card I bought I have not been able to get any thing working very well on it, even playing a movie from a usb stick properly is a struggle :(

I am registered on the forums and while helpful they are not as quick as here ;)

My experience with XBMC on the Raspi is not good either.
I have been using XBMC on Xbox since day1 (and XBMP before that) so have some experience with it :)
On the RasPi codec support is limited but most Divx/Xvix and h/x264 correctly encoded material should play but check on the audio codec used too.

It was just too buggy and the interface was appalingly slow compared to on Xbox but that is the difference between less than a year and over a decade of development.

All my media is streamed over a network so although the RasPi can easily decode 1080p material (which the Xbox cannot), this is limited by the network throughput on the device and limited RAM. There were also serious buffering issues when I looked at it.
I have many other devices capable of playing back streamed media that I didn't look any further.

Sorry I can't help further but someone such as Falafael who has persevered will assist I'm sure.

hi brother, i'm just putting together a more upto date version that i am using, ans will post on here, as well as a guide for you, bear with me!

@anthony, re buffering: are you using upnp at all to access your network?

Mate, DO NOT pay for anything, all this stuff is open source, xbmc also has all codecs built in, all you have to have inistalled is XBMC and thats it, it takes care of itself, and the addons update themselves, by the way, have you registered on http://www.tvcatchup.com, as you'll need to input yr user/pass on the pi once your setup.

For the repository, click on the user 'dj gerbil' and save the tvcatchup repo, i assume you have winrar on yr pc, if not get it from cnet.com

falafael said:
@anthony, re buffering: are you using upnp at all to access your network?

I have UPNP on the network but was using SMB on the Pi. Also tried NFS.

BrotherMalice said:
Yeah, bought an 8gb class 10 SD card with raspbmc pre installed, with the card I bought I have not been able to get any thing working very well on it, even playing a movie from a usb stick properly is a struggle :(

I am registered on the forums and while helpful they are not as quick as here ;)

Are you trying to play an MPEG2 movie? If so, the Pi doesn't support that file type unless you pay about £2 to have the licence added to your device.

Robbo100

****, i formatted my 4gb sd card and now i only have 63mb according to the computer on the card!!! :eek:
Looks like my card reader could be faulty?
Got another in loft me thinks??

Latest posts

Back