Just taken delivery of some hop rhizomes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Ninja

Large Member
Reaction score
Challenger and WGV.

I've read the instruction leaflet that came with them and it seems I have to wait for the last frosts to have passed.

Anyone grown these from rhizomes and when did you first plant them in the ground?

Cheers,

Terry.

Hmm, I thought I had planted mine in winter last time :wha:

Memory is rubbish though, so I'd wait for someone else as well

Keep them in pots inside either shed or greenhouse until all frosts have gone then plant out. They should be ok then to leave in the ground.
Quite a few guys have hop plants growing so i'm sure a few will comment.

Another one get them in now and protect them if with some straw or bubble wrap if the weather turns cold, or better still get them started in a pot somewhere warm

+1 for willingham nurseries.

I ordered Bramlin cross, it arrived in the post the next day. brilliant... :party:

I have dug a big hole, filled it with horse ****, planted my little hop plant and covered it with a modified milk carton to keep the frost off.

I have access to a load of northdown hops, planted on a mates allotment, I have also found a shed load of wild hops growing nearby...happy days

I have also ordered rhizomes from Willingham's, WGV and Fuggles. I have never grown anything ever before (except grass and some weeds) so will be keeping a watch on this thread.
I have them in pots at the moment waiting for the weekend, when I will be digging in some fertilizer.

Latest posts

Back