Keeping beer fresh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipey

Reaction score
Now then I have the following set up for consuming my beer. Beer in plastic pressure barrels ranging from 10 pints to forty pints with 2 inch pressure relief caps, speed fit washing machine valves in the bottom of the barrels then connected to my beer engine. At the moment I don't need to keep the beer fresh as it is all drunk in one sitting with my mates in my pub so the cap is cracked, washing machine valve opened and pulled through the beer engine. We are thinking of moving house so I will have no pub and no mates to drink beer in one sitting so how can I keep my beer fresh? Would a 2 inch barrels cap with a CO2 injected work? I crack the cap consume beer tighten the cap and inject with CO2. I've looked at cask breathers but it says it only keeps the beer fresh for a day longer. Any help would be great cheers

I haven't bottled for the last twenty odd brews because the beer tastes a million times better from a hand pull and you get the head it's easier to put in the keg than bottles etc etc. I had a look at polypins and that wouldn't work on a beer engine as there would be an airlock, you would have to puncture the bag and we would be back to where we started oxidising the beer!

Co2 and low temps. However you can achieve it. Cornies are great for keeping beer topped up with co2

I've never used polypins but I understand that as they are flexible they just crush down when you pull the beer out of them. No need to puncture and the last a while but not forever. Perhaps someone with experience could confirm?

I tend to finish my polypins in about 2 weeks, I don't think they would go more than 3 weeks, 4 max.

Latest posts

Back