Keeping fermentation warm during winter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should work out less than 10p per hour to run.

If you sit it in a water bath you can heat more than one demi/FV at a time and the costs per brew will come down accordingly.

Working on 10p an hour that would work out to £16.80 over 7 days :shock:
Kinda puts the price of the pint up!!!

I've just done a brew in the utility room which, at this time of year, varies between 16 and 18 Celsius. I bought a fermenting tray and controlled it with an STC-1000. Out of interest, I plugged it in via power meter and, over 3 weeks (2 weeks primary and 1 week secondary), it used 5.8 units to keep the temperature of the wort to 21 +/- 0.5 degrees. I'm not sure how much I pay for a unit but I'm guessing that it might be about 12p, which means that it has cost me less than £1 for those 3 weeks. Of course, a colder room will cost more but £16.80 per week sounds a bit high!

_

That was working on 10p an hour.
I supose it wouldn't be on all the time though would it!

Frogfurlong said:

If it's a 100W heater then it should cost more like 1p per hour to run.

100W=0.1kW so 1 hour's use uses 0.1kWh. One unit (1kWh) costs about 10p so that's 1p an hour.

was gonna get a 25w. It's only for an 8gal FV.
My problem is finding somewhere BELOW 22C. My house is hotter than Satan's anvil.

I used a 50 watt fish tank immersion heater, bought on ebay £7 PLUS £2.50 postage for my last brew, had to lift lid on fv to reset heater to 28c to maintain 20-22c in fv. But did the job well.

rpt said:
Frogfurlong said:

If it's a 100W heater then it should cost more like 1p per hour to run.

100W=0.1kW so 1 hour's use uses 0.1kWh. One unit (1kWh) costs about 10p so that's 1p an hour.

It's still less than 10p :lol:

I misplaced the . during the calculations :D

Latest posts

Back