Keg beer line length larger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizz head1982

Regular.
Reaction score
My first AG lager will be force carbonated soon. I heard lager especially can be problematic if it comes through to short a line, 5 feet minimum I heard. I have one but its only 2 foot. Should I order a new serving line now or try it out?

I use about 4 ft but of thin 3/16 line, doesn't pour all that fast but no problems with foaming. There's reason not to see how your current set up works first

a longer length of thin line will allow you to keep the keg at a higher pressure and if you have it cool at a pressure suitable to maintain a high level of condition in the beer. however you can just vent the keg and drop the pressure to serve, or keep it at a lower pressure to serve, if kept at a lower pressure you may notice a drop in condition as you drink your way down, if you do then just whak the gas up a bit and force some more condition back in, however if its quaffed quickly i doubt u will notice it.

the thin line will restrict the pressure iirc at about 1-2psi per ft length closer to 1 psi for the first foot and a bit more with each extra one..

to avoid foam keep the beer cool etc, AND minimise the pressure drop at the tap release point so if u have beer in the keg at 10psi 4-5ft length of 3/16" line should be about right to give u a 1-2psi pressure drop at release which shouldnt stimulate a foam out ;)

Back