Keg or bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave0w

Regular.
Reaction score
Am off to the shop tomorrow to pick up a keg, but i have been reading that cooper euro lafer need's 12weeks minimum to condition, should i bottle the beer instead of keging. i would like to keg it but if i have to bottle i will

NickW said:
Lager really isn't that good in kegs. They can't hold enough pressure for the carbonation required . I'd bottle
Yep I completely agree, kegging is better for ales :)

dave0w said:
well that saved my getting a keg just to spoil my first brew.

side question: glass or plastic?

Glass. I wouldn't touch plastic bottles. Wilkinsons do some great swing-top bottles which are perfect for lagers if you didn't want to invest in crown caps and a capper. A keg is always handy though, you may want to do an ale in the future :) Also on a side note, my first brew was a Wilkos Hoppy Copper Bitter - not too far from a lager - I half bottled and half kegged it, and it was fine!

jondread said:
dave0w said:
well that saved my getting a keg just to spoil my first brew.

side question: glass or plastic?

Glass. I wouldn't touch plastic bottles. A keg is always handy though, you may want to do an ale in the future :) Also on a side note, my first brew was a Wilkos Hoppy Copper Bitter - not too far from a lager - I half bottled and half kegged it, and it was fine!

:thumb:

Glass bottles, but don't buy them, get them from friends / pubs / clubs / the recycling bins & centre, or if you're going to buy them at least buy them with beer inside and drink it first!

Not tried bottling a lafer before!

Kegging is more suited to bitters & stouts-beers that don't need to be cold or gassy to be at their best.

Lagers & ciders are best bottled so you can get then in the fridge & get a decent level of carbonation.

As a related aside, my Coopers Euro Lager (bottled) was really very good after only 6 weeks, rather than the recommended 12. I kept some back and had one last week - about 6 months old - and really didn't think it was noticeably better.

winelight said:
Glass bottles, but don't buy them, get them from friends / pubs / clubs / the recycling bins & centre, or if you're going to buy them at least buy them with beer inside and drink it first!

i have started saving the 666ml stella bottles but i think getting 40 of them in a weeks may be a push :tongue:
I think i will get as many as i can then top up with plastic, and after the first brew bin the plastic as i will have had some time to get more.

as pf right now i have 9 empty and 3 that will soon be empty haha

Latest posts

Back