Keg Pressure Problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt666

Reaction score
I did a New World Saison over the Summer when the temps were hot, I kegged half and bottled half. The bottled half turned out lovely but the keg didn't carb up. I've fitted a tyre valve so I can test pressure and it was a big fat zero, and what beer dribbled out was flat.

I narrowed the problem down to a big split I hadn't noticed in the lid, I replaced the lid with another one, put another 35g sugar in and brought into the warmth but it still isn't carbing up. It was probably a month between first kegging and noticing there was a problem.

Has the yeast gone to sleep? Does it need a kick start by putting some more yeast in?

Was the keg full? I had similar issues which I put down to the colder temperatures, but as I only had about 9 litres in a 19 litre keg, I reckon the headspace was getting filled with the CO2 released from the yeast munching the priming sugar. Although I had filled the headspace with CO2, perhaps I had not provided a large enough blanket to force to CO2 back into the liquid.

Latest posts

Back