Kegerator build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kman

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, been a while since I been on here, I’ve got the go ahead to build a Kegerator as buying a ready made one is too much, I have most of the stuff I need already, after advice on what fridge is best to use. Don’t want to be bending over to pour a pint as I have a bad back already. Any help is much appreciated

Hi, been a while since I been on here, I’ve got the go ahead to build a Kegerator as buying a ready made one is too much, I have most of the stuff I need already, after advice on what fridge is best to use. Don’t want to be bending over to pour a pint as I have a bad back already. Any help is much appreciated
One that is big enough to hold your kegs, and gas if you are going to keep it in the kegerator

Attachments

• keg 1.jpg
    keg 1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • keg 2.jpg
    keg 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
I used the old fridge that was in the kitchen when we moved in, the built in thermostat was giving up but that doesn't matter since you bypass it anyway. A tip is to place a small fan of some kind in there to get some cirkulation and an even temperature inside.
So don't hesitate to use an old one if you or someone you know have one laying around.

I used the old fridge that was in the kitchen when we moved in, the built in thermostat was giving up but that doesn't matter since you bypass it anyway. A tip is to place a small fan of some kind in there to get some cirkulation and an even temperature inside.
So don't hesitate to use an old one if you or someone you know have one laying around.

Fan is a good idea if the fridge doesn't have one built in.

I reckon a second hand fridge is as good as a new one in the context of a kegerator and less stressful with drilling holes into. I think the main choice is about whether you go for an upright one with taps on the door and drip tray attached, or an under the counter style one with a tower font. That more than anything else is going to determine size and how many kegs of what size and shape you can fit in.

I reckon a second hand fridge is as good as a new one in the context of a kegerator and less stressful with drilling holes into. I think the main choice is about whether you go for an upright one with taps on the door and drip tray attached, or an under the counter style one with a tower font. That more than anything else is going to determine size and how many kegs of what size and shape you can fit in.

I went fridge freezer under the pretence that we needed more freezer space. Means I get the top for kegs, and the freezer for hops (and food). Keeps me and Mrs DD2 happy.

Or like me, tap on the door but I never got around to fit a drip tray. I just wipe the garage floor occasionally.

How do you power the fan and does it really matter how you position it?

Power supply outside the fridge. You can either push the cable through the drain hole, trail it through the door or drill a hole in the side and put the cable through.

My brew fridge has two fans. It has a freezer compartment at the top which I've pulled the door off and there is a fan in there. Then the heat source is where the veg box would be at the bottom and I have a fan there too.

As yours will be 'just' a fridge anywhere that pushes the air around will be fine.

This is what I did. The fridge is a Hotpoint Future RLA36 (the older RLA34 has the same cabinet), room for 2 kegs (new style or the older fatter ones) and gas.
I thought about doing that but very unsure about drilling through the top

A refrigerator usually has no tubing and wiring in the walls or "roof", it's all in the back and underneath.
A freezer is a bit more sketchy regarding that though as they may have cold medium tubes running in the walls, especially older ones...

Sorry Erik,
"usually" is not enough for casual reader.
I have found pipes in walls.
After the hissing stopped, it became meat fermentation cabinet.

Best advice: assume there are pipes everywhere and they have mains in them. Different mindset now eh 😉

Be VERY CAREFUL out there with a drill. Go slowly. One skin at a time and poke about with a skewer before proceeding.

Turning a brand new fridge into a cupboard will ruin your day.
It is a high risk operation.

I can honestly say I've never encountered a fridge with tubing in the sidewalls and/or the door, freezers are a bit different though.
Perhaps standards for UK fridges are different than our Swedish ones, but the main reason kegerators are recommended over keezers here are that you can put holes through the side of a fridge without worry but not a freezer. You should however never drill through the back wall of a fridge though.

Latest posts

Back