kegging a 10 litre batch into a 23 litre pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have tried to replicate a local brew and it will soon be time to bottle. I am considering racking the 10 litre brew into a 23 litre pressure barrel.

I'm slightly concerned about the available head room and the possible spoilage of the beer due to oxygen.

Has anyone had any problems doing the above?

Cheers Daf

If it has an s30 valve give it a blast then wait for the co2 to sink under the excess air then release some pressure before giving it another blast. Not ideal but it'll help.

Yep agree with Luke,just lift the rubber if you have an S30 valve with your nail and air being lighter than the Co2 will evacuate thru the pin hole underneath it
That's if of course you can force carb it

I often put 10L in a barrel - either a whole 10L batch or half a 20L batch with the other half bottled. It's fine, just use a little less priming sugar and top up CO2 through the S30 valve, sometime you don't even need to do that.

Don't panic!!
I often put half a brew into the PB and the rest into bottles, and usually put about 70g priming sugar into the PB with the 10-12 litres of beer.
I don't have any other means of carbonating the beer, and haven't had one go off yet.
And usually can get down to last pint or two before it runs out of puff.

The co2 produced from priming will sit on top of the beer protecting it ... don't worry!

Latest posts

Back