Keyless entry.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am looking at changing my car in the near future and most of the ones i have shortlisted have keyless entry, as you are probably aware criminals are using this system to steal cars by using gadgets to relay the signal from the key in the house to the car tricking it into thinking the key is close bye, a simple way of avoiding this is to use a Faraday pouch to block the signal (though i have read many do not work) or use the belt and braces method of putting your key in a tin box which i have read works 100%, do any members here have a car with this system and what do you do to keep your car safe from the scum?

I see the AA are advising people use steering wheel locks etc doesn't this make the convenience of having keyless entry pointless as you have then to mess about with a steering lock.

Last edited:
One stolen this week 4 doors away it was a new BMW off extremely large bucks. They have a special box to keep the key in to stop a signal being grabbed from the keyfob but for whatever reason it did not stop the theft. The car had a tracker on it and was tracked within a hour of the theft and found to be kept local for a hour then moved onto York and from there the next location was the North sea all within a few hours. I have been in the car trade as a main dealer manager and then my own garage for several years and think it is a step backwards and would not buy a keyless car no matter what. The people who stole the car where seen on CCTV and it looks like they are using young people to do the actual stealing who are given instructions over the phone once there so Mr Big does not take much of a risk and I guess they are paying the actual thieving B"£%&*^! very little

I am looking at changing my car in the near future and most of the ones i have shortlisted have key-less entry, as you are probably aware criminals are using this system to steal cars by using gadgets to relay the signal from the key in the house to the car tricking it into thinking the key is close bye, a simple way of avoiding this is to use a Faraday pouch to block the signal (though i have read many do not work) or use the belt and braces method of putting your key in a tin box which i have read works 100%, do any members here have a car with this system and what do you do to keep your car safe from the scum?

I see the AA are advising people use steering wheel locks etc doesn't this make the convenience of having key-less entry pointless as you have then to mess about with a steering lock.

Is that you in the photo checking out a possible new ride?

I have watched several videos on the subject and the Faraday bags seem to work one of the popular ones has a lifetime guarantee, the biscuit tin woks but its only going to be any use when you are at home., i agree with you about it being a step back and i see no need for key-less entry but the trouble is now its here if you want a car that is higher than basic spec you do not get the choice, i wonder if it can be disabled so the fob works like on a non key-less car.

Just don’t leave the ‘key’ hanging by the front door (as many people do). It can then be scanned by someone standing outside. Keep it at the back of the house, or better still upstairs in a drawer. I keep mine in a drawer next to my bed now, with my phone, wallet and watch - everything I need for work is in one place and much safer than leaving downstairs.

I guess spare key in a old unused backy tin in the bedroom drawer and main key in one of those pouches will do the job, i see the car thieves have now moved from scanning outside your house to the supermarket car park i guess easy pickings from those who haven't given this a thought.

I am looking at changing my car in the near future and most of the ones i have shortlisted have key-less entry, as you are probably aware criminals are using this system to steal cars by using gadgets to relay the signal from the key in the house to the car tricking it into thinking the key is close bye, a simple way of avoiding this is to use a Faraday pouch to block the signal (though i have read many do not work) or use the belt and braces method of putting your key in a tin box which i have read works 100%, do any members here have a car with this system and what do you do to keep your car safe from the scum?

I see the AA are advising people use steering wheel locks etc doesn't this make the convenience of having key-less entry pointless as you have then to mess about with a steering lock.

I'm not going to divulge my methods to protect my wifes car but it involves bacofoil a microwave and my wifes co-operation. :tongue:

I have read putting the keys in the microwave has the desired effect trouble is my lad would probably microwave them along with his food.

Tin foil ask works so I guess wrapping the spair in it and putting it so where safe would do the trick.

Why couldn't they have put an on/off switch on the key fob to make life simpler I feel sorry for those who bought their cars before this problem came to light.

Even the Tardis has a key, for heaven's sake!
20 year old Honda Civic Aerodeck which looks like it might well go on for another 20 years if the keys don't wear out. One's getting a bit thin and the other a bit bent. The "zapper" (remote key thingy) packed in ages ago.
(No disrespect meant to Frank).

Some of the new cars have motion switches in the keys, if they do not move for a while the keyless part deactivates. Most others do have a way to turn off e.g. Mercs you press the lock button twice in quick succession and it will give a long flash of the keyfob light.

I do like keyless entry but only because I have the keyless boot option on my car so if you are carrying something heavy you can wave your foot under the boot and it will open. I did have a BMW loan car for a while which had keyless ignition but not keyless entry - that was such a stupid system, get key out, unlock car then work out what to do with the key, put it in the cup holder or a pocket - much more logical to have keyless entry and keyless ignition.

I have a key safe to keep the car keys in, a steel box which will block the signal and hopefully they will not find the keys if they use a blowtorch to make a hole in the front door which is apparently happening more often.

My new Mondeo has keyless entry/exit but not like the Renault, as in when you walk away the Renault locked, on the Mondeo you have to touch the handle for it to lock, key stays in my pocket all day. It's a company car so not so worrying but still wouldn't want it nicked.

I'm not going to divulge my methods to protect my wifes car but it involves bacofoil a microwave and my wifes co-operation. :tongue:
Best way to test the old microwave was to put your mobile phone into it and close the door then ring the phone.If it rung you needed to dump it as the Faraday cage within was not working.Still do it now and again.

Latest posts

Back