kind donation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebell

Reaction score
Hi I am just starting out and a very kind friend has donated a few bits that include VWP, Yeast nutrient, finings and sodium metasulphide HOWEVER some have use by dates of 1995 :shock: now Im not one for paying them too much attention but will the chemiclas stil be OK??? Not all have dates on them and whilst Im trying to get started without spending too much money I cant see the point of ruining a batch for the want of a couple of quids worth of chemicals.

With the VWP & sodium metasulphate, I'd have thought they'd be fine, as long as they have been kept in an sealed container.

As far as the yeast nutrient, i'm not sure cos I dont really know what it is.... & I've never used finings so don't have a clue there!

The VWP would probably still be ok.

Assuming you aren't asthmatic, take the lid off the SodMet and waft it gently under your nose. If it makes you cough and your nose tingle it's good to use. If there's no particular smell or sensation, chuck it. Don't take a deep sniff and don't do that at all if you have any breathing difficulties.

Bin the finings and nutrient.

Latest posts

Back