King Keg Tap slight leak problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcpea

Reaction score
Hi,
Had several brews that slightly leaked between the barrel and the rubber seal of king keg bottom tap barrels (I've got 4)
Tried several kinds of tap, including lever taps, sparkler taps and the standard barrel tap.
I've always used a smear a Vaseline, been clean etc.
Sometimes they seal and sometimes they don't . Like I say, not been a huge leak, just the odd drip.. So annoying.

I'm thinking of doing the tap up as normal, then putting a very small bead of silicon sealant (aquaria, the same stuff that's used on fish tanks) on the outside.

Anyone have any thoughts on if this is a good idea or not?

Cheers

I have the same problem and I think it is an irregularity on the barrel surface where the washer sits. I have tried putting a washer on the inside and the outside, it stood up to a pressure test so trying again with an actual brew
Roy

Put the washer into some boiling water, before you assemble, Only tighten finger tight. Let the washer do its job

Ditto - I only ever do the taps hand tight with the o-ring clean/vaselined. Never had any serious leaks to date (fingers crossed). Over-tightening can do more harm than good.

Use ptfe plumbers tape on the thread. Several wraps will even out all those uneven surfaces in the plastic. Used to used Vaseline, but had problems too. In fact using ptfe increased my barrels pressure tolerance from 10psi to 15psi :-)

Back