Kit No. 5 - Coopers Original Stout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle_T

The Essex Brewer
Reaction score
Goood evening all,

After hearing many favourable reviews on this particular kit, I decided I would go and purchase one from my local store and mixed it up with my brewing 'bud' tonight, took a little more effort to get all the extract out of the tin and the treacle. I decided to add 500g of DME and intended to add 650g of dextrose but ended up adding 1.2kg through my bad, bad maths. Original Gravity ended up 1.068!!! It will be interesting to see what it settles at, below is the recipe I did and I shall update it as we go, Estimated time until being able to drink it, April 20th!

Steeplejack English Stout: Started: 31.01.13 Ended:

Est 21L of Stout. ABV 6% Estimated.

1 Can of Wort (Coopers Stout).
>
Stand can in 4L of hot water for 17 minutes.
>
2 tins of Black Treacle (908g).
>
Stand in 2L of hot water for 17 minutes.
>
Pour into Fermenting Vessel and mix thoroughly.
>
500g Dried Malt Extract + 1.2Kg Dextrose.
>
Pour into Fermenting Vessel and mix thoroughly with wort.
>
Topped up to 21 Litres with cold water.
>
Original Gravity = 1.068
>
Yeast added.
>
Final Gravity = ?
>
ABV Actual ?

I just hope she doesn't explode all over my mates wall Haha!

:cheers:

Kyle_T said:
Goood evening all,

After hearing many favourable reviews on this particular kit, I decided I would go and purchase one from my local store and mixed it up with my brewing 'bud' tonight, took a little more effort to get all the extract out of the tin and the treacle. I decided to add 500g of DME and intended to add 650g of dextrose but ended up adding 1.2kg through my bad, bad maths. Original Gravity ended up 1.068!!! It will be interesting to see what it settles at, below is the recipe I did and I shall update it as we go, Estimated time until being able to drink it, April 20th!

Steeplejack English Stout: Started: 31.01.13 Ended:

Est 21L of Stout. ABV 6% Estimated.

1 Can of Wort (Coopers Stout).
>
Stand can in 4L of hot water for 17 minutes.
>
2 tins of Black Treacle (908g).
>
Stand in 2L of hot water for 17 minutes.
>
Pour into Fermenting Vessel and mix thoroughly.
>
500g Dried Malt Extract + 1.2Kg Dextrose.
>
Pour into Fermenting Vessel and mix thoroughly with wort.
>
Topped up to 21 Litres with cold water.
>
Original Gravity = 1.068
>
Yeast added.
>
Final Gravity = ?
>
ABV Actual ?

I just hope she doesn't explode all over my mates wall Haha!

:cheers:

hi Kyle_T ... :thumb: .
i hope your stout turns out good ...
i have read a lot about this stout and...
i havent ever heard of a bad coopers stout yet ...

im new to the game ...
and plan to do my first brew this weekend ...
fingers x i get every thing i need in time ...

regards mick... :hat: .

Looks like you're going to have a ~7% ABV brew there. I made the coopers stout kit a few months ago brewed to 19L and used 1kg extra dark DME, 200g unrefined demerara and 30g black treacle which came out at just over 5%.

iv just been on utube ...
looking at Craig tube vids ...

i was told on this forum ...

not to have my coopers stout brewing below...
18 c / 64f
and not brewing above...
22c/72f

now i just looked at Craig tube...
doing a coopers stout ...
and he says its best to brew it between ...

21c/70f
27c/80f...

and so i am now very confused ...

regards mick.... :hat: .

mick may said:
now i just looked at Craig tube doing a coopers stout and he says its best to brew it between 21c - 27c
That may be what the tin says and it'll certainly ferment quicker, have you drinking your beer quicker and buying another kit sooner but its way too hot for an ale yeast. 18-21 is what you're after.

jonnymorris said:
mick may said:
now i just looked at Craig tube doing a coopers stout and he says its best to brew it between 21c - 27c
That may be what the tin says and it'll certainly ferment quicker, have you drinking your beer quicker and buying another kit sooner but its way too hot for an ale yeast. 18-21 is what you're after.

ok thank you jonnymorris :thumb: very much ...
that clears that up ....

my first brew was a Coopers stout, came out wonderfully and I'm just nearing the end of the barrel. I liked it so much, I've just been out and bought a second kit.

This raises a question: the shop was clean out of Dextrose.

I've got about 0.5kg dextrose left over from previous brews in addition to which, I've got 0.5kg dark molasses, nearly 2kg of demerara and about 1kg of dark muscovado - lots of sugar. (oh, I've got some T&L granulated, too)

Can anyone suggest a good blend of sugars that would compliment the Coopers stout kit? I'm happy for it to come out stronger than expected. :)

Also, would there be any benefit from using Young's winemaking yeast, rather than the supplied yeast? (my thinking here is the winemaking yeast will be more inclined to create a stronger brew)

Any advice that makes sense will be followed :)

Steve said:
Looks like you're going to have a ~7% ABV brew there. I made the coopers stout kit a few months ago brewed to 19L and used 1kg extra dark DME, 200g unrefined demerara and 30g black treacle which came out at just over 5%.

I don't quite get what ~7% is . Do you mean -7%, +7% or >7%?

Ah I see. If it goes down to 1008 it will sit pretty on 8% but I see most end on 1010 or similar.

Bogwitch said:
Can anyone suggest a good blend of sugars that would compliment the Coopers stout kit? I'm happy for it to come out stronger than expected. :)

I've done a few of these with various combinations of sugar, beer enhancer and pure malt extract. All were good, but the best IMHO was with a tin of Coopers Dark Malt Extract, maybe with an extra 200g demerera sugar if you like your brew a bit stronger. Did this a few weeks ago again and it's superb :D

Kyle_T said:
Ah I see. If it goes down to 1008 it will sit pretty on 8% but I see most end on 1010 or similar.

Mine started at 1.060 (1kg Extra dark DME, tin of treacle, brewed to 21 litres), and finished at 1.014. Add in approx 0.3% for carbonation and mine ended up at around 6.4%. It's had two weeks carbonating at 17C and as now in my conditioning/storage fridge at 12C and although it's only had one week to condition, it's a cracking pint. Will be amazing if I can actually keep it for longer than a few weeks :drink:

My mate John did a stout with slightly less sugar and that came out at 6.9%. Lovely pint that was.

It certainly was, will be entering a sample of it into the spring thing comp for some feedback.

If your brew ends up over my walls......................nope, still going steady and plenty of room before it ends up on the carpet. Looking forward to a sample.

Well,

I went for a peculiar mixture in the end. 500g dark molasses with 500g of light demerara mixed into water at about 50degC.
Dropped that into the FV with the Coopers kit, boiled up a litre to help clear the tin out.
Made it up to 23L using a water filter, one litre at a time - painful! Dropped another 250g of brewers sugar into the mix, checked the temp - 17degC, pitched the yeast. OG was 1040 so pretty much as expected.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Ive got 2 of these on the way in the post that i bought on ebay, thinking i might try one with treacle and one without, ive got a couple of kilos of extra dark dme aswell so will be using that too.

Did a hydrometer reading today, she has settled at 1.012, making it 7.4% so far, giving it a stir and a few more days and see if she does down any further.

Kyle_T said:
Did a hydrometer reading today, she has settled at 1.012, making it 7.4% so far, giving it a stir and a few more days and see if she does down any further.

hi Kyle_T.... :thumb:
sorry if this sounds strange but your going to stir your stout ....
i only ask as i thought once you top it up to the 23ltrs and added the yeast...
you didnt have to open or stir it again until you bottled up ...
yes im new at it ...
and my stout is sat at 1.012 aswell ...

Hello Mick,

Generally once the bubbles have ceased to rise it means the yeast has become 'suspended'? and finished the work. However as my Original Gravity was 1.068 I'm giving it a stir to make sure there is no unconverted sugar that has settled to the bottom because it has taken longer to ferment than your average kit, it only has to be a gentle one to mix the sugar back into the liquid and the yeast will finish the job.

Kyle_T said:
Hello Mick,

Generally once the bubbles have ceased to rise it means the yeast has become 'suspended'? and finished the work. However as my Original Gravity was 1.068 I'm giving it a stir to make sure there is no unconverted sugar that has settled to the bottom because it has taken longer to ferment than your average kit, it only has to be a gentle one to mix the sugar back into the liquid and the yeast will finish the job.

thanks kyle... :thumb: .

mine was started Sunday ...
so its been a fast brew for me ...
it started at 1.050...
on day 3 it was 1.050
today its 1.012 ....
do i need to stir it or just let it be ....
regards mick.... :hat: .

Back