Klarstein Maischfest - what am i missing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrislane

Reaction score
This looks a bit of a bargain compared to some of the other systems out there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078495RGZ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I know that this doesn't give the ability to automate a stepped mash or to recirculate the mash like some of the higher end systems, but is there anything else i am missing?

Is there anything else i should be thinking about / better options at the �£150-200 price point?

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
This looks good - get some insulation around it and it should perform well. The cooling coil makes it quite a bargain.
However, adding a pump to recirculate the mash would add about £75 to the cost, if not more, so perhaps the more expensive models with recirculation would be better.

Thanks Bigcol

Does anyone know if i would be able to add a bazooka to the inside of the tap to prevent grain & hop particles, or will i need to invest in a hop spider?

Hi, I’ve seen this too it looks fantastic for the money. You mention a bazooka filter for the grains, it looks to me like it includes an inner bucket with mesh bottom so that you can raise - and presumably - batch Sparge a bit like the grain father?

Do you think this would boil too? It’s being sold as a mash tool. 3kw sounds ample as long as there isn’t an internal cut out etc??

Very interesting bit of kit!!

Do you think this would boil too? It’s being sold as a mash tool. 3kw sounds ample as long as there isn’t an internal cut out etc??

on the Klarstein website it certainly implies that it will manage a boil

After a couple of weeks of umming and ahhhing over this I decided to give it a go. It arrived on tuesday and I finally managed to get it out of the box today.

It looks a pretty impressive bit of kit, and I'm not at all disappointed with the price given it comes with a grain basket and chiller coil.

I measured out the water as I filled it up. It was 25l up to the max mark on the inside of the boiler, which then gives a good 5l of headspace I'd say.

Before I could actually turn it on to see how long it would take to warm up the kids decided they wanted to go out. So I left it full for a couple of hours. When I came back I found a puddle of water on the work surface around the base of the boiler. Not a lot (it didn't look to have dropped much from the max mark inside) but it had definitely been leaking. On further inspection it seems to be leaking from where the ss base meets the black plastic at the very bottom of the unit. It's only a dribble, and I can't see any obvious signs of where the water is getting out on the inside. My only thoughts would be that it is where the temp sensor sticks out of the base.

Given that there is a leak I'm not particularly inclined to turn on the electrics, and given it is a brand new unit I don't really want to start unscrewing the black plastic base to access the internals.

Looks like I'll need to send an email over to klarstein and send the unit back. Disappointing!

Anybody with a similar unit (ACE etc) ever have any similar problems?

Couple of pics (one of the unit out of its box and one of the problematic area, although it is quite difficult to see)

Attachments

• IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    932.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    844.3 KB · Views: 437
There is no condensation on the outside of the boiler so I don't think so, unless it is between the two layers. But I think there is too much water for that.

A member recently reported he got a shock from his boiler if its not plugged into a RCD be very careful.

Thanks. I have no intention of turning it on.

I have emailed the seller through amazon so will see what they say.

Just got the klarstein 30ltr fermenter and I’m very impressed.very well packaged and great quality ,great seal and air lock included but it comes with a larger than standard bung.also it doesn’t have any inner ltr markings other than the max 30ltr.
All in all like a kid with a new toy
Cheers

Just got the klarstein 30ltr fermenter and I’m very impressed.very well packaged and great quality ,great seal and air lock included but it comes with a larger than standard bung.also it doesn’t have any inner ltr markings other than the max 30ltr.
All in all like a kid with a new toy
Cheers

Just looking at this myself. Can you tell me how tall the fermenter is with airlock in place, please? And are you still impressed by it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back