Klarstein Mundschenk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BKT have a neoprene jacket now down to £10. Even better us the jacket, whirlpool arm, hop spider and tap fittings for chiller for only £40. Shame they don't have any chillers at mo.
The jacket doesn't quite fit I had to cable tie mine together but I'm sure it will stretch. You can make a cooler for £30 at tool station for 10mm copper pipe and 10mm to 15mm compression fitting adapter and two hose pipe tap connectors.

After many years of brewing on my stove in a stock pot I have gone 3 ways with a couple of local mates and got a share of a Klarstein Mundschenk! 58 quid each no brainer. Looking forward to getting my mitts on it - currently at my mate's house about a mile away. I'll still do stove brews but nice to have the option to make 5 gallons or so in a machine. And brew outside when it's warmer. thumb.

How are people getting on with them?

Well, I've been hankering for an AIO for a while so this has tipped me over the edge. 25% off code had to be googled as no longer appearing on their page (but worked). I was planning on brewing again in about a fortnight, so hopefully it might turn up by then.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I've just blagged this offer too,....with blessing from swmbo😀 I have brewed a few times with a grainfather, so looking forward to getting all grain brewing again, 177 quid? Bonkers! Hopefully be a bit warmer for brewing when it arrives. Thanks for the heads up on this.

I've just blagged this offer too,....with blessing from swmbo😀 I have brewed a few times with a grainfather, so looking forward to getting all grain brewing again, 177 quid? Bonkers! Hopefully be a bit warmer for brewing when it arrives. Thanks for the heads up on this.
Yeah, being able to brew outside with an AIO is a plus, wouldn't dream of it in today's weather though!

Last edited:
Dunno if I'm being an idiot.. But what's the white plastic elbow and cap for?
Also, what's the purpose of the upper mesh plate? Does that just sit on top of the wort during the mash, and help distribute recirculated wort evenly during mash and sparge?

Dunno if I'm being an idiot.. But what's the white plastic elbow and cap for?
Also, what's the purpose of the upper mesh plate? Does that just sit on top of the wort during the mash, and help distribute recirculated wort evenly during mash and sparge?
I think so. In my current setup I use tinfoil over the grain bed when sparging to avoid overextraction at the top.
Not sure about the elbow

All correct.
The top plate will stop grain going down the overflow if it struggles to pass through the grain bed, it will also allow the sparge and pumped wort to distribute evenly. In my first brew with this efficiency was poor so worth leaving off if you can so you can aggitate the grains every ow and then.
I think the elbow is a pump spare, I took the bottom off and had a good nose and is fairly simple hose cable tied onto pump and outlet.
White cap stops grain going down the overflow

Got a question about mashing in in all in ones in general. Shall I still heat mash strike water separately, so I go water, grain, water, grain etc, rather than having to add the grain to the entire water which is more difficult to mix.
Also, people saying the bazooka is bad on these version. What are people changing it for? The grainfather filter?
I presume I'm fine to continue to use hop bags rather than faffing with a hop spider during the boil/hopstand?

As an aside I can see one advantage this has over the grainfather, it has handles!

My bazooka came from Ali Express for about a tenner similar on ebay.
I put all strike water in kettle heated and then slowly doughed in which was fine just stir well.
Yes hop bag will be fine.
I would say try hop filter if you are using a hop sock should be fine and you might be OK with the stock bazooka

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just wanted to say a quick hello and introduce myself.

I’ve been dipping in and out of this site for a couple years whilst planning how best to get myself set up for brewing.

I was planning to get myself the Klarstein Maischfest Mash Kettle (well, I'd actually asked for it as 40th birthday gift from all my family!), but then discovered this thread and it seemed like a now brainer to step up to the Mundschenk! ...I was finally allowed to unwrap/open it today and it looks like an awesome bit of kit!

In fairness, it’s well above my level of knowledge (and skills!), but I’m hoping it’ll give me something to grow into. I was actually looking to start out with exact brewing (I have a basic kit still gathering dust somewhere), but when I looked at buying a big enough pan to get a 5 gallon session on, I started looking at more ‘clever’ options and have ended up here.

I’m looking forward to garnering lots of tips and support from you all, and will no doubt have a whole stack of questions (which I will carefully search for before asking!). In the meantime, I just thought it’d be nice to say "hi" as this thread has been really positive and full of enthusiasm and shared knowledge 😀.

Happy brew days one and all!

Pete

ps. Will post on the New Member Introductions board also 👍🏼

Welcome Pete. Having moved to AG from kits only recently the difference is night and day. I'm just supping a pub quality Peroni Clone and it is stunning.

Attachments

• 20230123_212523.jpg
    20230123_212523.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
My bazooka came from Ali Express for about a tenner similar on ebay.
I put all strike water in kettle heated and then slowly doughed in which was fine just stir well.
Yes hop bag will be fine.
I would say try hop filter if you are using a hop sock should be fine and you might be OK with the stock bazooka

Did you try the bazooka that came with the Mundschenk? Its hard to see if the ones on Ali are coarser so would be less likely to block up. A few vids on youtube seem to end up syphoning, so its clearly a common problem. I'm ordering a metal paddle and hop spider, so thinking about adding another bazooka too - but cant see if there is actual difference in the mesh! The spider should help reduce any blockage anyway I suppose...

No I didn't try the one that came with it. The below pic is the same as the one I have and as you can see its not as fine, it will also need a straight 1/2 bsp connector to connect to the back of the tap. Or leave it off and filter through a bag into the fermenter?
Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230124_122226_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_122226_eBay.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back