Knife Set

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a kitchen knife set that doesn't cost hundreds of pounds?
I probably want a set three to five knives ranging from a paring knife to a carving knife. I have a good bread knife.

I managed to bag a set of 9 and steel of Waltmann & son for 20 quid in a closing down sale at Cheshire oaks 5 years ago, still good today and very sharp
1674247737328.png
1674247737328.png

Go for pro cook. They are going through an update of the range and if you go in store you should find some of their knives for about £10 a piece. Or the other one is tkmax. Have found a few kai knives there for cheap

I'm a fan of Thai Kom Kom knives. Tbh, for me getting something that feels good in your hand and is well balanced is the most important thing. You can get a good edge on any knife.

Not sure where you live. What we have done is called at David Mellor when we pas and buy one at a time, they aren’t cheap but the aren’t expensive. Just very well made.

As an ex chef type person it never ceases to amaze me how much people spend on knives when most of them are utter junk, won't hold an edge, badly balanced, mostly paying for the brand name.

Don't bother with Sabatier, they haven't produced a good knife for years. Their older stuff (20 years ago) was good and if you don't mind second hand and know how to sharpen a knife, they are still fantastic full thickness carbon steel rather than just stainless. You can sharpen them until the cleavers are smaller than a fillet knife!!!!!
Most of the guys I used to work with used them and I bet still do!

But if you want a good general purpose knife set, I would recommend sunnecko japanese kitchen knives. I have the Damascus versions and they are genuinely 'sharp' and have retained their edge with minimal sharpening. In fact I haven't ever actually run my steel across them, just my whetstone every few weeks and they are razor - and I mean really razor - sharp. Beautiful balance and very easy to handle

Look nice too

Attachments

• PXL_20230120_222646342.jpg
    PXL_20230120_222646342.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230120_222712164.jpg
    PXL_20230120_222712164.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
I like the one on the far right, definitely a beautiful filleting knife. What is it?
No name on it, found in a drawer in my mum in laws when we were clearing it, it is by far the sharpest knife i have ever used my misses won't go near it, i use it mainly to fillet full mackerel which i love, the other small one i use a lot to to dissect full chickens and general stuff

For 3-5 knives, look to be paying £100-200. Don't go for a cheap bargain. Go for reputable makes. I have some expensive (global) ones and some decent more affordable ones (Robert welch signature).

If treated well, they should outlast you. Also invest in a steel and a sharpening stone and learn how to use them. I regularly service my knives and they are as sharp as the day I got them and I've had them between 10 and 20 years. Don't go for the powered grinders as they take to much off the knife and you'll end up with a skinny blade after 10 years.

Oh, and as said. Don't put them through the dishwasher, or store them in the drawer where they can bang against other things. That'll blunt them in no time

Fiskars knives are cheap and good quality, you might find them at Tkmax even cheaper.

For 3-5 knives, look to be paying £100-200. Don't go for a cheap bargain. Go for reputable makes. I have some expensive (global) ones and some decent more affordable ones (Robert welch signature).

If treated well, they should outlast you. Also invest in a steel and a sharpening stone and learn how to use them. I regularly service my knives and they are as sharp as the day I got them and I've had them between 10 and 20 years. Don't go for the powered grinders as they take to much off the knife and you'll end up with a skinny blade after 10 years.
Can you suggest some reputable makes in that price range?

I would thoroughly recommend I.O.Shen knives, not the cheapest but razor sharp and feel nice in the hand. A set like these would set you up well. If you search around you can find good deals.
I.O.Shen

Amazingly the best bread knife I've ever owner was from Ikea! It's the only Ikea knife I have so I can't comment on the rest. I have some Sabatier, Pro Cook and some unlabeled. What have learned over the years, cheap knifes require cheap sharpeners that remove A LOT of material in use.

My son has some Japanese knives which are wonderful to use. Some of my family used to think I was "special" for sharpening my knives all the time, now I get asked to sharpen their knives, I use a mixture of sharpening tools for the cheap knives, sharpening steel for the middle and wetstone for the expensive ones and for my "bushcraft tools".

Nothing so dangerous as a blunt knife!

We run a restaurant, knives are the tools of our trade. Pro Cook Chinese Japanese copies work surprisingly well and last. Still like my global and Victorinox look for a hardness about 58-62 and I now use a diamond wet/dry stone. Never bought a set cos there's only certain ones we need. Forget the Amazon/Ebay **** Japanese copies. My Procook Layered Japanese style parer and 18cm Santoku (3 uses) does most things athumb..

Back