Kolsch, first taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewed the Greg Hughes Kolsch recipe using cml kolsch yeast. It's still very young but just sampled the first bottle.

It's not what I was expecting, more pale ale like than lager tasting, quite sweet and fruity. Not unpleasant at all and I could definitely see myself drinking this in the garden on a hot summers day.

Plan is for this to now get lagered out in the garage at whatever temps we get over the winter, I'm not in a hurry to drink this and will be interesting to see if it changes over time.

Was surprised by the taste that's all not ever having tried a kolsch before.

Brewed the Greg Hughes Kolsch recipe using cml kolsch yeast. It's still very young but just sampled the first bottle.

It's not what I was expecting, more pale ale like than lager tasting, quite sweet and fruity. Not unpleasant at all and I could definitely see myself drinking this in the garden on a hot summers day.

Plan is for this to now get lagered out in the garage at whatever temps we get over the winter, I'm not in a hurry to drink this and will be interesting to see if it changes over time.

I used this yeast in an Oktoberfest recipe and I found it a bit too sweet and fruity. I fermented it at 14c.
I am starting to wonder if I boiled off all the DMS, I think I did a 70 min boil.

Is kolsch not the german version of our pale ale,it's not a lager.I did a couple of variations a while back and was really pleased with them,as you say, a pleasant drink for the warmer months:thumb:

Is kolsch not the german version of our pale ale,it's not a lager.I did a couple of variations a while back and was really pleased with them,as you say, a pleasant drink for the warmer months:thumb:

Yes it is, but it's also often described as a psuedo lager and i had read that it's a good way to get a lager like beer without refrigeration. I did a couple batches of lager out in the garage last winter and this was intended as an alternative.

I made a Kolsch using the CML yeast a while back. Can't remember where I got the recipe, but there was pilsner and vienna malt in it. I would also describe it as quite fruity, but I really enjoyed it. Planning another, so will have a look at the Greg Hughes recipe unless anyone's got a winner?

Yes it is, but it's also often described as a psuedo lager and i had read that it's a good way to get a lager like beer without refrigeration. I did a couple batches of lager out in the garage last winter and this was intended as an alternative.
I did call mine psuedo lager . I used the CML yeast both times. Never ever had a Kolsch before but will certainly do them again,infact i have a couple of recipies lined up.:thumb:
Actually prefered them to lager,which i am not a great fan of,least ways most of them.

Planning another, so will have a look at the Greg Hughes recipe unless anyone's got a winner?

I had really good results in a BJCP competition with this beautifully simple recipe.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.1 %
Colour (SRM): 3
Bitterness (IBU): 26

Grain Bill
----------------
Pilsner Malt (92%)
Vienna Malt (8%)

Hop Bill
----------------
Hallertau Mittlefrueh First Wort Hops

Notes
----------------
Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented with Wyeast 2565 Kolsch using Brulosophy quick lager method.

From what I've read kolsch yeast does give a bit of a fruity note. It's not as clean as your average lager yeast

You're right they aren't as clean as a lager yeast, but any fruitiness should be very light. The wyeast kolsch I used has a light pear flavour when young, but it does diminish.

I had really good results in a BJCP competition with this beautifully simple recipe.

Recipe Specs
----------------

Grain Bill
----------------
Pilsner Malt (92%)
Vienna Malt (8%)

Hop Bill
----------------

Notes
----------------

Cheers, will give that a whirl!

Recipe Specs
----------------

Grain Bill
----------------
Pilsner Malt (92%)
Vienna Malt (8%)

Hop Bill
----------------

Notes
----------------

Very interesting. Only bittering hops. I must try that. Next time i brew one i am going to save 5l and try a raw version. Was reading a thread where someone brews one in under 2 hours.

You're right they aren't as clean as a lager yeast, but any fruitiness should be very light. The wyeast kolsch I used has a light pear flavour when young, but it does diminish.

That's interesting. I used the cml Kolsch yeast with a cheap lager kit and thought it had a slight peardrop smell at bottling. I was worried in case it was an infection but the smell has diminished over time. :thumb:

I`ve done a few Kolsch style brews and always used Safale yeast at 20oC.
Always turned out great.
Quite a dry ale but more like a lager as I always kept it chilled in the keg.

I just had two bottles of my Kolsch, it's been in the fridge for 3 weeks and has improved.
It has dried a little and is crystal clear even at 2C.

Just thought I'd update this with a photo, it's turned out great and although I was enjoying it young as it has aged it has become more like a lager less like a pale ale. Cmf kolsch yeast cleared well, one to do again but I have temperature control now so will be attempting a Munich Helles next week.

Just thought I'd update this with a photo, it's turned out great and although I was enjoying it young as it has aged it has become more like a lager less like a pale ale. Cmf kolsch yeast cleared well, one to do again but I have temperature control now so will be attempting a Munich Helles next week.

I'm also doing a Helles in a few weeks. This is meant to be a tricky style if you're trying to match the quality of the big bavarian brewers. Which yeast are you going to use?

I'm also doing a Helles in a few weeks. This is meant to be a tricky style if you're trying to match the quality of the big bavarian brewers. Which yeast are you going to use?

I'm using wlp838 Southern German Lager and the recipe from "Brewing classic styles". I've never tasted a Helles before just wanted to pick a lager that no1 son and wife would like and liked the sound of it.

Lovely looking beer Honk. I have found its best to let it sit in the garage for a few months before drinking. Its not very nice fresh and as you said can have a slight pear flavour. I have not tried kegging it yet though it always tastes great at bottling. Seems a shame to have to recarb it and change the flavour.
I am gonna have a go at a Helles as well. Be interesting to see how close it is the the other lagers i have been brewing.

Do you have the recipe for this honk? Just bought the Greg hughes book from world of books for 8quid.

Should be in the book. If you still Need it I can look it up for you but at work now so probably not till tomorrow.

Back