Krausen Not Dropping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricky_dicky

Reaction score
I have a Bulldog Four Finger Jack in the FV, currently on day 11. Started at 1046 as stated in the instructions, pitched the yeast and away it went within about 8 hours.

The thing is the Krausen has not dropped, it is still bubbling away on top - not quite as high as initially, but certainly actively fermenting. Decided to take a reading yesterday and it's down to 1008 - so now I am very confused as this seems to have gone a long way already, is it really still fermenting or could there be a problem? Should it really have got that far, was expecting about 1012. I was hoping to add the Hop Pellets tomorrow and bottle on Sunday - but that now looks like it will be pushed back while it carries on.

I know that the bulldog kits do have different yeast strains to the normal kits, but this one does seem odd

Any advice / re-assurance would be appreciated

Probably be the yeast I have used Two yeasts which do this. I wouldn't worry about it. :thumb:

I am going to take another reading tonight - although I can't see it dropping much more from where it is now - surely.

Quick update on this after the weekend: It has now got down to somewhere in the region of 1005 and appears to have stopped. The krausen hasn't dropped appreciably, but it is slightly less foamy than last week. It has started to clear very slowly as well, so I can only conclude that the yeast were working very slowly on this. Plan is now to add the hops on Friday and bottle on Sunday

Latest posts

Back