Krausen not dropping ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huwb

Reaction score
Hi guys, not sure if im being a bit premature here. I set off a mangrove jacks craft ipa with a kilo of dextrose and 500grms of spray malt on the 21st of jan. I used a packet off US05 id had in the fridge for a while and wanted to use up. Pitched at 18c, it was bubbling away nicely when i checked on it the next day. It has been fermenting at 18/20c ever since. 10 days later and there is still a Krausen, is this normal for S05 to take this long ? I have only had one other experience with s05 on a HBC APA allgrain mash kit and it flew through that.

Cheers Huw

I took a reading of my latest brew, also brewed on the 21st with us05, yesterday and the end of the krausen was still present.

Mine has managed 84% attenuation, so hope it's stopped as it was already quite dry...

It has been my go to yeast and I normally give it two weeks (inclubbing any dry hopping - usually last 3 days) with the 24 hrs before bottling out in the shed to cold crash.

First Time I ever used US05 my krausen lasted 2 weeks.. I often find it doesn't last that long all th time but it can hang around a bit.. leave it , it will drop eventually. I found you can enoucourage it with some taps on teh fermentor..

As soon as it breaks it will drop though. 10 days I wouldn't be worrying at all

Cheers both i think i just wanted some reassurance on this, ill just leave it and check in a few days. I try to keep opening the fermentor to a minimun.

Back