Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on a Facebook group called Advanced Home brewing where I posted my troubles with Kveik. The issue of "long" fermentation times is because I'm pitching too much yeast. Kveik needs a lot of nutrients and pitching a half litre starter means there's a lot of yeast to start so the nutrients get eaten up very quickly and fermentation lags. Also people seem to add nutrients and aerate their hot wort a lot; hot side aeration does not seem to be an issue.

Tomorrow I'm making a brown ale with Voss, gonna add nutrients in the boil, aerate well and massively underpitch and see how it goes.

Glad its going like a rocket!

Also remember when you do a starter, you can also dry the yeast out.

Drain of liquid until left with a slurry. Pour this on baking paper and put in the oven at a temp under 30c for a few hours.

Else just leave in airing cupboard or something

The slurry will eventually dry and flake. Once done store in a jar can also then be frozen if wanted.
But should last for years dried.

I tested my dried yeast from a few small bits and within 1 hour I had life!

Presumably you should cover the slurry if you're going to leave in an airing cupboard overnight? Also, once it's dried and in a jar, does it need to be kept in a fridge or would a shelf in a normal cupboard (i.e. Not the airing cupboard) be fine?

Presumably you should cover the slurry if you're going to leave in an airing cupboard overnight? Also, once it's dried and in a jar, does it need to be kept in a fridge or would a shelf in a normal cupboard (i.e. Not the airing cupboard) be fine?
Smeared very thinly , I've found it's dry to the touch in a couple of hours.
Thin is the key . then in a cool , dry place and stored in kilner jar suits me.

Look at this! 8 hours in and under 28psi of pressure! Fermenting in my fermentsaurus. Just wow! I pitched a tablespoon of Voss Kveik slurry in some of the malt from the boil that I put in a Plastic bottle . In like 30 min the bottle was rock hard. I haven't checked gravity yet but its working allright!

IMAG3889.jpg

IMAG3888.jpg

This yeast is awesome! This is going to be my third batch on the fermentsaurus and the beer has improved considerably. I think the high pressure is doing something special. Just so clean!

Just bought a packet of this Kveik Voss off of ebay and arrived this morning, quite expensive, so this afternoon I'm going to try and see if I can breed some. Doe's half a litre and some LME sound okay?

Just bought a packet of this Kveik Voss off of ebay and arrived this morning, quite expensive, so this afternoon I'm going to try and see if I can breed some. Doe's half a litre and some LME sound okay?
One packet I enough for like 3 batches. When I got my Voss it was from a guy on my Norwegian beer forum. It came in a teenie weenie little vial. I grew it with a liter and 100g og dme and some nutrients. Worked like a charm

Bottled my first kviek brew last night. American wheat beer with mandarin and hull Mellon. 1.040 down 1.008. Trail jar tasted good. Fermented at 37.
Also made David heath's Vienna larger from his you tube channel. It's looks darker than I expected. I cut short the boil so OG is 1.052. Will pitch kviek later when it drops to 25 degrees

Moved Gjernes pale ale to the keg last night with a hop grenade full o' Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic.

Had been sat in room temp FV for just over a week. Was at OG after about 3 days, but life took over :)

Going to let it sit a few days for the hops to soak, then I'll cold crash and force carb.

76.5% pale ale
12.2% Munich
7.1% carapils
2% oats
2% maltodextrine

22 g each of Citra,Mosaic,Simcoe in the whirlpool,
40 g of each dry hopped in the keg.

Added oats and maltodextrine to try to counter thin mouth feel I've had in the past with this yeast.

Fingers xxxxxed

Would I be correct in thinking that infection in the wort is less likely when using Kveik simply because Kveik is a fast fermenter and that it would outrun any bacteria or airborne yeasts?

Would I be correct in thinking that infection in the wort is less likely when using Kveik simply because Kveik is a fast fermenter and that it would outrun any bacteria or airborne yeasts?
I've heard (anecdotally) that kveik strains can self clean following infection due to the speed they ferment at. Not sure I'd use that as an excuse to get lax with my sanitation though! athumb..

Anyone here not a fan of Kveik?

Tried a basic lager recipe and used Ubbe from MM and the end product was very tart. Although drinkable, I wasn't a fan of the alleged "clean" taste.

Anyone here not a fan of Kveik?

Tried a basic lager recipe and used Ubbe from MM and the end product was very tart. Although drinkable, I wasn't a fan of the alleged "clean" taste.
I’ve just brewed a smash using Voss for the first time and its also pretty tart. It is only 6 days since pitching tho and does seem to be fading a bit. Will give it a bit more time before kegging

I’ve just brewed a smash using Voss for the first time and its also pretty tart. It is only 6 days since pitching tho and does seem to be fading a bit. Will give it a bit more time before kegging
If it's anything like mine, it will remain tart. It's almost like an extremely tame sour. Which although I don't dislike it, I wouldn't exactly say the Ubbe Kveik has a "lager like quality" which it claims.

If it's anything like mine, it will remain tart. It's almost like an extremely tame sour. Which although I don't dislike it, I wouldn't exactly say the Ubbe Kveik has a "lager like quality" which it claims.
This is interesting to know. I really like sour beers and if using Ubbe can make a sour without the added effort sours usually require it's worth giving it a go.

This is interesting to know. I really like sour beers and if using Ubbe can make a sour without the added effort sours usually require it's worth giving it a go.
Wouldn’t put too much faith in my testimony. Fermentation temps, sanitation, etc was sound. But... I did make a starter with the yeast, with the intentions of returning the same original cell count to the chap that gave me it.

Starter was done at room temp, so this may well have changed/ruined the Kveik’s character.

In a recent episode of the Brew Files/Experimental Brewing (don't recall which), Drew Beechum described the Voss flava as a kind of orange peel thing. That fits pretty well with my experience

In a recent episode of the Brew Files/Experimental Brewing (don't recall which), Drew Beechum described the Voss flava as a kind of orange peel thing. That fits pretty well with my experience
I made a gose with voss and it added a subtle orange blossom flavour which went well. I used voss for a Cali common and I think the flavours were overpowered.

Latest posts

Back