Labels!!!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheazy_joe

Landlord.
Reaction score
Sorry about the shouting in the title thread!

Thinking about starting to label my bottles, so far just been storing them in the garage in batches, and trying to remember which is which. The older I get (and more I drink :drink:) the more I forget which is which.

So......how do you guys go about labeling your bottles? Obviously needs to be something fairly easy to apply and of course remove ready for the next batch.

Also don't want to be spending huge sums of money on it.

Interested to hear what everyone else does.

Cheers.

PS. sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

I'm far too lazy to faff with labels so I've got about six different colours of crowns and an old whiteboard in the beer store (garage) to help me keep track of what's what.

Sorry about the shouting in the title thread!

Thinking about starting to label my bottles, so far just been storing them in the garage in batches, and trying to remember which is which. The older I get (and more I drink :drink:) the more I forget which is which.

So......how do you guys go about labeling your bottles? Obviously needs to be something fairly easy to apply and of course remove ready for the next batch.

Also don't want to be spending huge sums of money on it.

Interested to hear what everyone else does.

Cheers.

PS. sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
Excellent idea, different colour caps. That might just do the trick. The simplest ideas are the best. Cheers!

Permanent marker. Write name on caps. I use initials. LP CCC W etc.

different coloured caps too, Also too lazy to faff around with labels.. If I have a batch with the same colour caps on i use a sharpie and initial on the cap which brew it is

I don't label mine yet, but when I do, I will be sticking plain paper labels on with MILK. Apparently, it sticks well and more importantly,the labels come off very easily in a simple water wash. I reckon I will stick them on, let them dry and then scribble the brew and date details on each bottle.

I can't use the cap code method because I have swing top bottles.

I get some white lables, cut each lable ito strips so it's about 1/2-1cm wide and write the date on it. Then write in my brew book the date of bottling in the relevant section. Lables are very easy to peel off (putting a whole one on isn't though)

I use different colour caps but I know white electrical tape doesn't leave a residue on glass (unless it's on there about a year or so) and is easy to peel off. Can be written on with a marker or you could just buy a bunch of different colours.

Kiddies reward stickers (stars and dots) in various colours stuck to the crown caps. Mixed up with different coloured caps gves loads of variations. You can also see what beer is what by looking at the top when they are in crates.

I don't normally label my bottles, but the last couple of brown ales I brewed I labelled one crate of each with the intention of keeping them for a while. If you've got a laser printer just design your label on a computer and print them off on normal computer paper & stick them on with milk. Even if you keep the bottles somewhere damp the paper doesn't wrinkle up because it's already been wetted and stretched as the milk dries. They look great but cleaning the labels off, although easy , is a bit of a bore.
I used a jam label website for the basic design - jamlabelizer I think it's called. Costs nothing to use and you just download a jpeg of the finished label. Below is one of them I made for my HBC Olga's Oregon Stout:

Beer label Olgas Oregon Stout 2.jpg

I used to do wine labels on the printer & stick with pritt type stick. Comes off very easily. If I wasn't giving them away I didn't bother with labels. Just played alkie roulette

I print 19 mm round labels for the caps, they have a logo, the brew, the date and best of all they are removed with the cap!

Atb. Aamcle

Used to label my bottles but really couldn't be arsed when it came time to clean and remove them all then I spotted the chalk marker pens on ebay as mentioned by racinsnake - piece of cake now, zero mess :thumb:

I am too laze to even write on the tops they just have lines like roman numerals and keep a record in a book. Very quick to do a batch of 40 bottles. Just progressed to different colour crowns after finding a proper home brew shop.

I don't normally label my bottles, but the last couple of brown ales I brewed I labelled one crate of each with the intention of keeping them for a while. If you've got a laser printer just design your label on a computer and print them off on normal computer paper & stick them on with milk. Even if you keep the bottles somewhere damp the paper doesn't wrinkle up because it's already been wetted and stretched as the milk dries. They look great but cleaning the labels off, although easy , is a bit of a bore.
I used a jam label website for the basic design - jamlabelizer I think it's called. Costs nothing to use and you just download a jpeg of the finished label. Below is one of them I made for my HBC Olga's Oregon Stout:

I have to ask (sorry for thread hijack), what's with the horse head things? Is this some Welsh custom that has thus far passed me by? I'm genuinely intrigued.

Latest posts

Back