Lactose stouts/porters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plotmaster

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for a bit of advice ahead of a brew I have planned...

I'm looking to do a salted caramel stout but more or less all the recipes I've looked at involve lactose and I'm unfortunately lactose intolerant!

Does any lactose make its way into the final beer or is it all eaten up by the yeast?

Or if anyone knows an alternative way to achieve the same flavour I'm all ears!

I'm looking to do a salted caramel stout but more or less all the recipes I've looked at involve lactose and I'm unfortunately lactose intolerant!

Does any lactose make its way into the final beer or is it all eaten up by the yeast?

Lactose is unfermentable, so it stays int he finished beer as residual sweetness, and contributes body/mouthfeel. At a guess, and happy to be expanded upon byt he more experienced, you can mash higher to convernt unfermentable sugars from the grain which will contribute in terms of mouthfeel and sweetness.

As far as how best to adjust the grain bill accordingly/if at all, im going to have to wait for someone who knows better.

Lactose intolerant people can have a certain amount per day without a problem [Dr. Karl, Prof. Claire Collins]
so if you work out how much the recipe needs and how many you'd drink per day combined with other things it might be something you can work with without a recipe adjustment.

Go for maltodextrin and lots of oats and mash high. You'll get the body that the lactose provides. It won't be exactly the same, but it'll be a comparable result.

Lactose intolerant people can have a certain amount per day without a problem [Dr. Karl, Prof. Claire Collins]
so if you work out how much the recipe needs and how many you'd drink per day combined with other things it might be something you can work with without a recipe adjustment.
Thanks for this, and yes I've had half pints of lacto-beers before without much of an issue, but a pint has been enough to send me home with the dreaded cramps before now too!

I take it you've tried what you want to brew? If not,what if you don't like it?
Why not just leave the lactose out,adjust mash temp for sweetness and add oats for mouth feel?

And add more caramel malts, but of less than or equal to 75 EBC, probably, at least caramel malts which do not have bitterness in them. Also, British brewers liked to colour their stouts (especially in the first half of the 20th century) with 1000 EBC caramel.

O, taste those caramel malts, chew on them, to get those which taste like toffee.

I take it you've tried what you want to brew? If not,what if you don't like it?
Why not just leave the lactose out,adjust mash temp for sweetness and add oats for mouth feel?
I do like a milk stout that's the problem! But thanks, am trying different grain bills/temps etc to try and get there

Back