Lager brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossih2006

Reaction score
Hi guys, im new to the forum so thought id post this

Started a brew last weekend which was a lager. Recipe was 4.4kg of crisp hana heritage malt, 220g of carapils malt and 220g of wheat malt.
Mashed at around 66c for around 60mins

Hops additions were 20g saaz and 20g hellertau hersbrucker at 60 mins and same again at 20 mins left on the boil

Didnt adjust water or ph ( but will next time )

Yeast was Lallemand diamond lager yeast 1 pack ( straight onto the wort ) and maybe should have used 2 packs after reading the instructions

Anyway fermented in a fermentasaurus at around 17c for the first few days and bumped it up slowly each day til i hit 22c and let it sit for a few days. I set my spunding valve to arouund 15psi and let the pressure build up ( didnt add any pressure at the start ) anyway after a little over a week ive transferred the fermenter to my fridge to cold crash where ill be adding some gelatin finings before i transfer to keg.

The colour seems to be very amber ( a lot darker than i expected ) maybe due to the carapils and the wheat or maybe because of the temperature i fermented at. Ill post a pic of what she looks like and hopefully update next week when the taste test is done

I've never heard of fermentation temp affecting the colour of a beer.

Mine always looks darker in the kettle/FV than they do in the glass!

I've never heard of fermentation temp affecting the colour of a beer.

Mine always looks darker in the kettle/FV than they do in the glass!
Yeah was thinking it was just down to the grain bill as i put 5% wheat in. Colour is somewhat similar to stones bitter but i dont mind as long as it tastes good

Back