Lager Fermentation Temperature and Recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanobrfc

Reaction score
Evening all!

Getting towards bottling my second brew now (New World Saison) and fancy brewing lager next as a change - I have also brewed St Peters IPA.

Question for you more experienced folk - what temperature range does lager tend to ferment at in general? I am thinking of brewing this in the loft, but could it ferment potentially outside?

Also - for those who have brewed lagers before, any recommended kits? Would like to stick to kit brewing for now. I am a fan of stronger lagers, doesn't have to be majorly strong but not really a fan of the standard lower abv lagers such as carlsberg, fosters carling etc - prefer less common, higher abv, crisp lagers.

Thanks for your help!

Sam.

Around 12°C...but according to some links it's more complicated than just fermentation at a temperature...you need to raise the temperature after as a diacetyl rest..then slowly drop the temperature right down to around 5°C over a period of time...somebody on here will probably link it up for you.

Around 12°C...but according to some links it's more complicated than just fermentation at a temperature...you need to raise the temperature after as a diacetyl rest..then slowly drop the temperature right down to around 5°C over a period of time...somebody on here will probably link it up for you.

+1 for this, iv heard of lagering as low as 1C

One of the first beers I made was the Mangrove Jack NZ hopped Pilsner and the Golden Lager from the same, they were great, fermented at room temp. so not true lagers but plenty tasty!

One of the first beers I made was the Mangrove Jack NZ hopped Pilsner and the Golden Lager from the same, they were great, fermented at room temp. so not true lagers but plenty tasty!

Might have to have a look out for that then! Don't have the equipment for the lower temperatures at the moment.

Noticed you've brewed Youngs New World Saison- how did that go? I'm fermenting mine at the moment and really looking forward to getting it into bottles!

I haven't done a lager yet but will be doing one next month.

I'm not sure if I need to add more yeast after the lagering state, so that it will carb up with the priming sugar...I think I've read that this is sometimes needed because the yeast has been so cold for a considerable length of time.

Might have to have a look out for that then! Don't have the equipment for the lower temperatures at the moment.

Noticed you've brewed Youngs New World Saison- how did that go? I'm fermenting mine at the moment and really looking forward to getting it into bottles!
It was my first Saison so it was a total new taste, but it was delicious, the first one I drank was the evening after a Swedish Crayfish party, lots of schnaps, so I think my hangover tainted it. Two week later after a trip offshore I had the next and loved them since. Can't knock those Youngs Kits.

Latest posts

Back