Lager than life competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah....I brewed a Mexican Corona style Lager that was supposed to have the lime flavours as an integral part of the beer, rather than stuffing a wedge of lime down the neck of the bottle.

At least entering it as a fruit beer allows me to tell the judges what they are supposed to be tasting....the power of suggestion and all that....though it fails as a tactic miserably when the beer doesn't taste of what you say it tastes of!!!
Absolutely. The judges don’t know what you intended to make, they only know what have told them as part of the entry information.

Hrm. Gutted. Well if I had realised it was such a **** beer, I wouldn't have sent it.
Not really any wiser ,to be honest. I think something definitely happened to that yeast or bottle or something being shaken and stirred up during shipping, or the bottle itself was minging or any number of things, because I don't have hazy beer, anything that tastes remotely plastic or full of infection when I drink the ones at my house. My husband was confused reading the sheets, he's like, 'surely that's not your beer! It doesn't taste anything like that.' Oh well, I don't expect great beers every time of course, but, urggh. Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
I am so pleased with my feedback but at the same time disappointed with myself. I got an overall 37 for my American Lager and had a tick next to mini BoS which I think is a good thing too. There was detailed feedback in the overall section from one of the judges who said apart from the appearance and carbonation it was a really good beer and if I fixed the carbonation it would have been excellent, then the colour and it would have been outstanding. it just goes to show that if I’d used a couple of hundred grams less of Melanoidin in the mash and added an extra gram of sugar in the bottle and it could have been a completely different story. Onwards and upwards 🍻

I am so pleased with my feedback but at the same time disappointed with myself. I got an overall 37 for my American Lager and had a tick next to mini BoS which I think is a good thing too. There was detailed feedback in the overall section from one of the judges who said apart from the appearance and carbonation it was a really good beer and if I fixed the carbonation it would have been excellent, then the colour and it would have been outstanding. it just goes to show that if I’d used a couple of hundred grams less of Melanoidin in the mash and added an extra gram of sugar in the bottle and it could have been a completely different story. Onwards and upwards 🍻
Melanoiden is a tricky malt to get balance right in your recipe....quite powerful stuff and easy to overdo it.

Given that an American Lager is very neutral light bodied beer I personally might avoid the use of Melanoiden at all in such a beer and perhaps limit it to malty continental styles.

Still a decent score and if it made the MiniBos then the judges must have perceived plenty of qualities in the beer that they brough it back for a second tasting.

Melanoiden is a tricky malt to get balance right in your recipe....quite powerful stuff and easy to overdo it.

Given that an American Lager is very neutral light bodied beer I personally might avoid the use of Melanoiden at all in such a beer and perhaps limit it to malty continental styles.

Still a decent score and if it made the MiniBos then the judges must have perceived plenty of qualities in the beer that they brough it back for a second tasting.

I agree that melanoiden has no place in an American Lager. Too much maltiness is a fault in this style. High carbonation is essential - it is supposed to have a carbonic bite to it, and that transforms the beer completely.

Colour only tends to account for 1 mark out of the 50 available.

Latest posts

Back