Lager than life competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all fairness I do think the same people winning all the time is a bit shitty.

:laugh8:

1678044861417.png

I'm drinking this beer I entered now and I can't quite tell what would make it score so badly. Maybe an issue with that bottle - I was having issues with my capper that day - had a right hard time getting them on the bottles I had, so maybe some oxidisation or something.
These things happen sometimes - I had 2 bottles turn to vinegar for the Scottish (scoring 17) and it scored 35 in the UK National (one of the faults - too bitter - I knew about; the other being yeast esters I still can’t taste even now I know about them).

Jack and I shared some of both our entries with others who were there. They didn’t taste that different to what I’m pouring at home. What I would say is the overall standard of all the beers on offer was outstanding and small flaws really stood out amongst the field.
There's small flaws and there's flaws enough that you're almost in major flaws territory! I shall wait and see!

These things happen sometimes - I had 2 bottles turn to vinegar for the Scottish (scoring 17) and it scored 35 in the UK National (one of the faults - too bitter - I knew about; the other being yeast esters I still can’t taste even now I know about them).
It does indeed. I know this box got delivered on its side too, so goodness knows. All good!

Looks like my beer went into a mini BoS, whatever that means

It just means that, after all the beers on the table were judged and scored the judges then had a second tasting of the highest scoring beers to determine the final placings on that table

This helps mitigate against palate fatigue where later beers might not score as well (or the opposite where early beers might be judged more harshly until taste buds are used to tasting). Also a Mini-Bos is useful where you have two pairs of judges on a table who might be scoring the beers they taste at slightly different levels...a selection of the best beers from each pair might be re-tasted and the 4 judges together come to a consensus as to the final placings.

Sometime the same judges do the mini-bos....sometimes a fresh set of tastebuds are brought in to do the mini-bos.

My late decision to recategorize my beer paid off.

Was originally going to enter it as an International Pale Lager but was concerned that some of the fruit flavours might be misinterpreted as brewing/fermentation faults/issues....so decided to enter it as a fruit beer and highlight the fact that I added half a dozen dried white limes to the boil.

Not sure about it being classed as an "Unconventional" Lager. 😃

Looks like my beer went into a mini BoS, whatever that means
It means your beer was a contender for winning the table.

Judging works like this:

- First your beer is judged by two judges, who independently write scoresheets and scores, and then discuss the beer and agree on a consensus score. That’s the score you see on the site now.

- When all the beers on the table are judged the judges pick several beers to go into the mini best of show (mini bos) to decide who wins the table. It’s usually between 3 and 8 beers.
The mini bos works by the chosen beers being poured out into glasses, and another set of judges then decide what the placing for the table are.

- If you win that, then you go to best of show, where a panel of judges open a new bottle and have the mother of all fights as to who takes home the overall win.

Judges take it all very seriously and endeavour to find the best beer. Please remember while you might disagree with their opinions, beer judging is subjective, and we try our absolute best to assess each beer fairly on its merits.

My late decision to recategorize my beer paid off.

Was originally going to enter it as an International Pale Lager but was concerned that some of the fruit flavours might be misinterpreted as brewing/fermentation faults/issues....so decided to enter it as a fruit beer and highlight the fact that I added half a dozen dried white limes to the boil.

Not sure about it being classed as an "Unconventional" Lager. 😃

You did the right thing. BJCP competitions are style competitions - you judge to the style description. International pale lager does not describe any fruit, so it would have been marked down as faulty.

You did the right thing. BJCP competitions are style competitions - you judge to the style description. International pale lager does not describe any fruit, so it would have been marked down as faulty.
Yeah....I brewed a Mexican Corona style Lager that was supposed to have the lime flavours as an integral part of the beer, rather than stuffing a wedge of lime down the neck of the bottle.

At least entering it as a fruit beer allows me to tell the judges what they are supposed to be tasting....the power of suggestion and all that....though it fails as a tactic miserably when the beer doesn't taste of what you say it tastes of!!!

Latest posts

Back