Lager than life competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That crossed my mind too @MickDundee
I have a lager that’s kegged but still young, a second lager in the fermenter and a sour carbonating one the keg at the moment. And my disastrous Kolsch for drinking - hoping my mates will finish it off when they are round for the football tonight.

The 2 lagers will be good for all 3 comps (2 entries in the Scottish and 1 each in the UK and LTL), although I might put the sour in the Scottish (but it’s quite experimental) for a bit of variety.

The competition is over half way full now in just over 13 hours.

As always it'll be judged to a high standard (LAB makes sure all its judges are up to scratch) and we aim to get feedback to everyone within a few days.

There's still a couple of places left.
No.2 son just bagged one of them and it looks like we're brewing together next week, a NZ pils. Then I have the pleasure of funding a trip for both of us to London to watch the judging. The wee fecker is only 90 minutes out on a train while I've got to play EasyJet roulette and negotiate the Gatwick Express just to catch up him:mad:.
And to add insult to injury, I'm already getting "My lager is going to be better than your lager" grief, Christmas fecking spirit my ****!!

Last edited:
Just so you all know - there's still a few entries left for this competition: Lager Than Life

Also if you're a BJCP judge please do register to judge. If you're not a judge but are interested in the competition and would like to help on the day please register to Steward (no prior experience required) - it's a great way to try lots of the entries and you'll get insight in how to win in future.

There's still a couple of places left.
No.2 son just bagged one of them and it looks like we're brewing together next week, a NZ pils. Then I have the pleasure of funding a trip for both of us to London to watch the judging. The wee fecker is only 90 minutes out on a train while I've got to play EasyJet roulette and negotiate the Gatwick Express just to catch up him:mad:.
And to add insult to injury, I'm already getting "My lager is going to be better than your lager" grief, Christmas fecking spirit my ****!!
Do consider registering to Steward (via the entry site). All you do is ferry a bottle of beer to the judges from the storage area every few minutes.

It's a big help to the organisers, and it allows you to try the beers and understand the judges' comments, what they're looking for etc. Then we all stay around for drinks and the results after.

Hrm! With the few different competitions I have entered lately, I am running out of suitable boxes for shipping. Guess I need to scour around my house and see what I have got!

I didn't know about this comp so have missed out again boo.

Would anyone be willing to give me a list of the main comps throughout the year and the rough dates please?

For my first comp (which will probably be May now) I would just like the level I'm at to be assessed, then I can go from there. 🙂

A good idea for a thread. Hrm. @Hazelwood Brewery you really seem to be in the know, what do you think?
I’ll put together a list of the main ones and will also list a few others that might come round again - there are always a few less formal comps run by breweries or hop distributors etc.

I didn't know about this comp so have missed out again boo.

Would anyone be willing to give me a list of the main comps throughout the year and the rough dates please?

For my first comp (which will probably be May now) I would just like the level I'm at to be assessed, then I can go from there. 🙂
With Covid stopping everything the competition timetable has been quite up in the air up until very recently.

Here’s the ones to looks out for off the top of my head:

January - Scottish National
February - UK National
March - LAB Lager than Life
April - Reading Amateur Brewers - Sour and Session*
NAWB conference (entry in person only)
May - LAB Open
July - Anglian Craft Brewers competition
August - GBBF(?)
October - Brew Con(?)
Norwich Hoptober*
November - Heart of England