Lagering Advice - Bucket or Corny?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just fermented a pilsner and want to lager it for 3-4 weeks in the fridge.
Would I be better racking into a secondary bucket to lager or directly into a corny keg and then lagering under pressure?
And can I get away with lagering for 2 weeks rather than a month?

It's my first time lagering!

Cheers

It's really up to you and where you want the final product to be. If the beer is going to end up in a cornie then it doesn't really matter although lagering in a secondary under airlock will allow most of the yeast and proteins to precipitate out and you won't transfer to the cornie.

I usually bottle my pilsner so I simply bottle and condition as usual and then give a extended lagering period (leaving for 3 months is not uncommon).

As for length of lagering - anything you can give it will help the beer to mature. Longer and colder is the traditional method but if its not too cold then a couple of weeks will certainly help. However if you can give it longer then you should get a smoother, fuller beer.

I'm currently lagering for 2 weeks in primary at 2c. Let it mature in bottles for 2 months. Tastes amazing!

Just started lagering batch #2 today.

Dc

I'm in a similar situation with my pilsner, its got another week left in the secondary at 12c then I'm going to begin lagering at 2c for 4 weeks. I'm planning on bottling so am I better to lager it in the bottles or just leave it in the secondary?

Back