Lagering location

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My latest lager has just finished and, for the first time, I'm thinking of doing it properly and bulk lagering - but I don't have a brew fridge. Locations cool enough seem to be the garage or the loft, but I'm a bit worried about rodents - we live in the country and they seem to eat through everything, they got through thick plastic to get to some peanuts. Anyone know if they'd likely try to get into an FV for the beer?

You have my sympathy, I too live in the country and have similar problems. You have identified some options, I'd also think about a water bath and put your lager in the bath, that way at least they have to complete a marine assault course to get to the brew. :D

I don't think they have the sense to go after larger just because its lager, they seem to be stupid enough to chomp on anything including electric cables.

When we had a cat we had no problems with rodents or rabbits but the cat died a couple of years ago. Also you could elevate your fermenter onto a sturdy shelf, that would improve things.

Good luck with your efforts. :thumb:

I'm coming towards the end of my 4 week lagering period for my first Wilco's cervaza which has been residing in a brew fridge in the garage so am looking forward to checking it out next week.

I wouldn't chance it. I know what there like. It would be such a shame to lose it.
You've got two options
1 put it in a metal dustbin
2 of lots of rat poison down

Hope this helps
Jacob

I decided not to risk it and, after transferring to a secondary FV, it's sat in a bath-full of cold water in the coolest room in the house, at about 10C. I know this is not true lagering, but should help clean it up a bit - question is, how long should I leave it there before bottling? Is there any advantage leaving it there for a month or is that a waste of time because the temp isn't low enough, should I just bottle it and get it in the fridge to lager in the bottles?

Thanks, bottled them this afternoon. First time I've used a secondary FV and the brew cleaned up really nicely, almost clear going into the bottle and so much easier to bottle without a ton on sedement in the bottom. And I had half a bottle over so sampled it, surprisingly good for a flat lager. These'll be great when the weather warms up. :D

Back