Latest gender pay gap BS could cost Tesco 4 Billion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
Apparently because warehouse staff (mainly men) get paid more than shop staff (mainly women) Tesco are facing legal proceedings that could cost them £4 billion
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-qa-the-tesco-equal-pay-dispute
If you wanted to get more money by working in the warehouse why didn't you apply for that job? Can anyone see how this case is justified? Much as I hate to be on the side of Tesco.

Women and men get paid the same by Tesco if they do the same job. Liberals seem to find this difficult to understand. It's a simple concept. Different jobs are paid differently and if you're not happy with your pay you should apply for the other job.

I heard a woman on the radio say they should get equal pay despite not having the same job. she justified this by saying the jobs were worth the same to the company. I turned the radio off shortly afterwards

Makes me laugh how we decid to have a dig at low paid workers.
Tesco can afford to pay them better so good luck to them I say.
I’ll happily have a dig at the top few percent...

What I want to know is were men also employed to work in store and women in the warehouse? Duxuk seems to imply that this is the case above. If so and men and women were paid equitably for the same job I cannot see how this is a gender issue (although there might still be a fair pay issue). If not I can see that Tesco might have a problem

Aparantly the checkout woman claim against the warehouse men. Then when the checkout women get a pay rise in line with warehouse men, the checkout men then have to fall in line with women or they’d have a claim.
The main thing is equal worth that I believe magi bought in.

I believe the vast majority of people should be paid considerably more than what they currently get. They should do away with tax credits etc. And make companies pay more to make up the shortfall.

You work for a company like Tesco, they make half a billion profit give or take. They pay workers what the government deems not enough to survive, therefore the government pay tax credits to workers.

Essentially the government are bolstering the profits of these companies through tax credits.

I work for a big company that makes 100's millions profit every year. Every time they want to squeeze a few more quid the first place they look is workers pay/t's&c's. And that's not upper management pay, it's the people out actually bringing all that money in.

I believe the vast majority of people should be paid considerably more than what they currently get. They should do away with tax credits etc. And make companies pay more to make up the shortfall.

You work for a company like Tesco, they make half a billion profit give or take. They pay workers what the government deems not enough to survive, therefore the government pay tax credits to workers.

Essentially the government are bolstering the profits of these companies through tax credits.

I work for a big company that makes 100's millions profit every year. Every time they want to squeeze a few more quid the first place they look is workers pay/t's&c's. And that's not upper management pay, it's the people out actually bringing all that money in.
Thats an interesting view.
Where do you think the profits from company go to? Do you think they only benefit a few people who are rich beyond the imagination of most people. No, I'm afraid its not. First gross company profits are taxed or go back into the company to fund investment. Tax goes into the public purse. So in general terms if a company is successful it makes more profit, and that means more tax, which should benefit everyone. What's left is usually paid as a dividend. Most shares on the stock market are owned by large institutions like pension funds, or even Trade Unions. So, for example, if a company pays a good dividend it benefits the fund and the people who benefit from the fund ie pensioners or potential pensioners. But yes there are individuals who own shares, but they are also subject to dividend tax which benefits us all.
So if a company finds it is squeezed by having to pay more to its workers or in increased taxes it affects its profitablity and that affects us all. And if a company really struggles and goes out of business that's even worse because the workers are laid off and then the public purse has to support them until, hopefully, they find new employment. And if a multinational finds its unprofitable to operate in a particular country (like the UK) perhaps due to high wages or taxes it shuts up shop and moves where its cheaper, and that affects us all too.
And if you pay 'the vast majority of people' more money, you get into a price/wage spiral, and the usual outcome of that is inflation, prices increase, borrowing rates increase and then you have to pay people yet more money so its self defeating.

Last edited:
It does **** you off though when us at the bottom of the **** heap are told no money for pay rise and there's proof that 100k managers are getting 16k bonuses. ....then the offer is 1% then we get 3-4 months of arguments and we settle on 3.5% which the management are pleased with...back payed on all hours worked Inc overtime....

It does **** you off though when us at the bottom of the **** heap are told no money for pay rise and there's proof that 100k managers are getting 16k bonuses. ....then the offer is 1% then we get 3-4 months of arguments and we settle on 3.5% which the management are pleased with...back payed on all hours worked Inc overtime....

Some of the heads of charities are on way more than a 100k a year. Handing over money in the street for their wages and a lifestyle we cannot afford.

Some of the heads of charities are on way more than a 100k a year. Handing over money in the street for their wages and a lifestyle we cannot afford.
It does seem a lot. However that £100k will be taxed, at about £28k. And if the charity can attract the right sort of candidate to the job with that salary as market rates dictate , then the charity should continue be successful, and that benefits many. And if it doesn't, because it wants to pay less, then it might go under. I'm afraid it's a fact of life that many jobs can be done by many people, whereas some jobs can only be done by a relative few, and it's those jobs that attract the highest renumeration. It might seem unfair to someone on the tills at Tesco but then could they run the Company?

I see what your saying Terry and I can't disagree. I think for smaller businesses where it's just viable on current overheads staff cost etc then some government help is ok.

A lot of big companies fiddle the tax system as well. Which of course they can do and you can't blame them. The loopholes are there to be used.

There needs to be a balance for sure and the tax on profits/dividends to pension funds etc are good things. I'd still be very surprised if there weren't massive portions of money filling the already bustling coffers of fat cats all over the country. A lot of whom will shift their money in such a way as to avoid paying tax in this country. Then you have the companies who are allegedly not paying any tax in this country despite making 100millions+ profits annually, from this country.

If only honesty could replace greed.

I'm no left winger but I would fully support a minimum wage of £10. The hit on inflation would be small and temporary and the economy would be boosted because minimum wage earners spend their wages, so the money flows around the economy.
The point that Terrym made about profits and taxes is valid if your local Tesco isn't registered in the Cayman Islands or wherever. I remember these kind of allegations coming to light a few years ago.

I'm no left winger but I would fully support a minimum wage of £10. The hit on inflation would be small and temporary and the economy would be boosted because minimum wage earners spend their wages, so the money flows around the economy.

But if everyone earns more, prices go up (both on account of the increased wages payable to employees and because there is more money available to spend) and that £10 is no longer worth as much so you're back to square one.

Apparently because warehouse staff (mainly men) get paid more than shop staff (mainly women) Tesco are facing legal proceedings that could cost them £4 billion

Rightly so, if the guys in the store are more skilled than a person on a till fair enough but if not they should be paid the same rate.

This has nothing to do with CEO bonuses or tax evasion its happening all over the public sector with Diner Ladies demanding equal pay to Bin Men.

Latest posts

Back