Leftovers recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaquiss2005

Reaction score
Have various part used malts around "use by" date and looking for suggestions as to what I could brew with these. Conscious won't be able to use all up!
Lager malt 650g
Crystal malt 320g
Munich 200g
Special B. 300g
Vienna malt 1200g
Carabelge 500g
Melanoidin 450g
Brown malt 400g
Chocolate malt 450g

Not concerned re brew size and keen to try something different

I would start by putting everything on to the Brewersfriends Recipe System. (Accessed at the top of this page.)

With a few arbitrary decisions such as mash volume & time, boil volume & time etc etc you will be able to check out the ABV, bitterness, colour etc and start searching for a "style" that comes somewhere near what your ingredients can produce.

Finally, with a bit of diligence and maybe the odd tweak here and there you will have your very own recipe for a brew that actually has a name. :thumb:

One word of warning. If your brew turns out to be one of the "best I have ever tasted" beers imagine trying to find all the ingredients again! :whistle:

You could make a porter, but with that many malts you may lose some of them to the stronger flavours.

How about a Cali Common? Get a larger yeast and brew it at lower ale temps.

The lager, Munich and Vienna would go together to make the base malt so that = 2.050 Kg, which limits the size of the brew you could make.
Then you have various kinds of caramel malt, which you might go as high as 15% with, at a push. Crystal, Special B, Carabelge, in some combination = 300g? If you used that much you would probably be able to bung in a Kilo or so of sugar to dry it out a bit and maybe increase the volume of the brew.
Then you have Brown and chocolate malt, If you use those, you're making a porter style of beer, probably. You could, possibly go as high as 10% but that might be overdoing it?

Lager malt 650g
Munich 200g
Vienna malt 1200g
Granulated sugar - light candi - golden syrup 1Kg
Carabelge 300g

Add water to get 1.075 OG, you might get near a Tripel with the right yeast and hops.

Lager malt 650g
Munich 200g
Vienna malt 1200g
Dark Muscovado - dark candi 1Kg
320g Crystal Malt
75g chocolate
75g brown

Mild?

Did you know that historically, many brewers used to have different kinds of base malt - UK 2-row, Spring barley, American 4 - row, whatever to increase the complexity of their grist?

Have various part used malts around "use by" date and looking for suggestions as to what I could brew with these. Conscious won't be able to use all up!
Lager malt 650g
Crystal malt 320g
Munich 200g
Special B. 300g
Vienna malt 1200g
Carabelge 500g
Melanoidin 450g
Brown malt 400g
Chocolate malt 450g

Not concerned re brew size and keen to try something different

maybe see if there is anyone near you with a few more ingredients that are near use by date aswell , add 'em to the mix

Latest posts

Back