Lilac Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
Just making my first Lilac Wine

7 pints lilac flowers
2.5 lbs sugar
7.5 pts water
2 lemons
2 teabags
Nutrient
Champagne Yeast

It was exhausting picking off all the flowers, took a long time. I boiled the sugar and cooled before soaking the blossoms for 2 days, then squeezed really hard through muslin to keep some colour. When I added the lemon juice the colour changed, but still subtle. Seems to be going ok at the moment, will post more later

It smells of lilacs, funnily enough wink..., and I like the perfume. Will see how drinkable it is later. I have hopes, as I am enjoying the dandelion, elderflower and marigold wines I have made

EXTREMELY interesting. Does the final product actually taste of lilac?

Yes! Just bottled today. Will leave it to sit for a while, but it's promising.

IMG_5015.jpg

Yes, it’s called Labelizer, really useful as yiu can change the design each time, to fit the wine. I will leave this to condition for at least 6 months, I think. I made some Celery, it tasted too strong, and I had bottled it too soon. 3 months later it is a lot better, somI need to be more patient.

Yes, it’s called Labelizer, really useful as yiu can change the design each time, to fit the wine. I will leave this to condition for at least 6 months, I think. I made some Celery, it tasted too strong, and I had bottled it too soon. 3 months later it is a lot better, somI need to be more patient.
Celery?!?!

Ive heard of it but is it worth making?

I'd say so. I started it in March, and it stopped mid-May. I put finings in mid-June, and it seemed ok to bottle mid-July, but did taste strong and wasn't quite as clear as I had hoped. Fortunately, I put it in the garage. After that recent hot day, two of the bottles 'popped' and I noticed that they both had quite a bit of sediment. However, when I drank some the other day, the flavour had settled down, and it was quite smooth tasting. I guess if you hated the taste of celery you wouldn't make it, but I'm hopeful that in say another 3 months, it might be quite a decent quaffer.

Back