Lime flavoured lager?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Landlord.
Reaction score
The colleague that I gave a brewbuddy lager kit is now getting hooked and has just asked me if he can put lime juice in his next brew as he likes some commercial lime flavoured lager.

I said that I thought the results would be hard to predict as any sugars in the juice would be fermented out, and that a cordial would probably contain preservatives so that would be a no no.

I suggested that when he bottles the current brew (in about 10 days) if he uses a couple of 500ml bottles as a test and put in lime juice for the 2nd fermentation, that may give him a good idea.

Now to my mind he should just get a bottle of roses cordial to add to a glass but has anyone else tried tweaking a lager kit to make a lime flavoured one.

it's a toughie. if pouring cordial into a glass is satisfying enough, go for that.

otherwise i'd be tempted by something like this;

http://www.planetbake.co.uk/lime-extrac ... googlebase

limes will have next to no sugar in, but one thing to consider is that citrus fruits have a habit of killing head retention.

preservatives in cordials can usually be boiled off...particularly if you have an organic one, as it probably won't contain anything that could affect fermentation.

hi

I tried this because swmbo likes her lager with lime & is a bit partial to a desperado

so before bottling I boiled the juice of 4 lemons & 6 limes along with my priming sugar to batch prime 21 ltrs of coopers heritage lager

the result was swmbo quite liked it but not enough lime flavour so if I do this again I would lose 2 lemons & add 4 or 5 more limes

:cheers:

I tried a similar thing with Coopers Mexican Cerveza: juiced and zested 4 limes and 2 lemons, boiled it all up and added it to the FV. Very strong smell so had high hopes but it didn't materialise in the beer, so I still have to add lime cordial to each pint to get a noticable lime taste. Probably do it straight next time and just make do with lime cordial. :|

i looked into this earlier today as i didnt have any citrus hops, one website with a glossy mag reckoned to treat lime etc like hops and that to use like in dry hopping would be most efficent, he then finished by saying as unsexy and boring as it is the best way to get fresh lime flavours in the final glass is to add a lime slice into the final glass...seems obvious now eh -like u figured with the lime cordial

Latest posts

Back